• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's with the Attitude?

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey everyone, I was wondering.. how long does it usually take for a baby dragon to get used to you? I've had Princess Buttercup for 2 months now & she really seems to dislike me very much. Im the one that feeds her. I hold her almost daily for about 15mins.. every time I go to pick her up from her tank, she puffs up & hisses. My daughter can pick her up fine, so can our nanny, also female.. is it because I'm a boy? Once I pick her up, she's fine. Her temperatures are perfect & she eats & poops fine. Nothing seems to be wrong. She just doesn't like me. Shes 4-5 months old.. will this ever go away? It's very discouraging:(
PRINCESS BUTTERCUP ATTITUDE.jpg
PRINCESS BUTTERCUP LOVE.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I highly doubt that she doesn't like you. She is a juvenile and more than likely testing you to see if she can dominate you and be the "Big Dragon". :) Just ignore her "show" when she does that and continue to spend time handling her. I would try to bump it up to maybe 30 minutes at a time. Hopefully she will eventually decide that you are not a threat and she can't spook you and give up on trying to dominate you.
I have an iguana who to this day makes a huge show every time I go to his enclosure...puffs up, whips his tail against the side of his enclosure, opens his mouth like he is going to bite me and has even charged at me but it's all a bluff...I just look at him and say "Yeah I know...You are a big bad scary dragon..." and then pick him up...soon as I do he turns into a lil kitten and doesn't want to leave me. LOL
I have been the one that has done pretty much everything for him since day one and he knows he can't spook me but he still plays the game even after a couple of years of playing it...you would think after all that time he would get tired of wasting all that energy:)

Hope that helps!
Enjoy!!

Latest posts