• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Whats the difference in Bulbs?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
I've never used a reflector bulb I usually use just basking bulbs. Whats the difference and does a reflector bulb actually work as a heat source? I was tempted to get some today because I've heard some people do use them but as I say I don't...anyone got any thoughts on this?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Reflector bulbs are the types of bulbs that have a coating on the outside sides of the bulb for instance when you look at a spot or flood light. Depending on the type of reflector bulb you purchase yes they can put out quite a bit of heat. If you are looking for an alternative basking bulb that is just as good as the Reptile Basking bulbs in the pet shops then I might suggest that you try standard indoor halogen floodlights. These lights provide a clean brite white light which is what beardies are attracted to and they put off a significant amount of heat and can be purchased for much cheaper than the cost of the petshop bulbs. I use them in our enclosures.
One note is that if you decide to try them out you will probably not need as high a watt bulb when using the halogens. Mungi is in a 40 gallon breeder tank and I use a 75 watt bulb in a Mini Deep Dome fixture that is suspended about 6 inches above the screen top of his tank...if you are using the same size tank and your lights rest directly on the screen I would try a 50 watt to begin with.
It is something that you will have to play with to get adjusted initially but works great and can save a lot of money in the long run:)

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Oh that's cool thanks for your quick response. I have no idea about the gallon size the measurements are 5' long x 2' wide by 2.5' high. I did notice they were very cheap £2 (english money) compared to £5 for the basking bulbs I usually buy. Would I need any particular fittings to accompany the reflector bulb? I don't really plan to change as I have loads of basking bulbs stored away and I generally try to get a UV bulb every month so I have some of them stored too. I like to have lots of stuff for just in case, at my last count I had 29 basking bulbs and 9 UV bulbs extra :rolleyes: but then if there ever comes a time when I just don't have the money and something needs replacing I don't need to panic because I have it, wether it's bulbs, fittings or glass for the front of the viv's I have it all. I'm distracting myself from the point lol.

So as long as the bulb and the fitting match I'm good to go?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That size enclosure I would probably suggest starting with a 75 watt and seeing if it will give you enough to get your temps right..if not then move to a 90 watt at most. As far as special fixtures as long as your current basking fixture's socket is ceramic or porcelain which they should be and rated for at least the same wattage as the halogen you are wanting to try then you can use them. Btw..there are Halogen bulbs and Halogena bulbs...you will only want the Halogen...I have heard that the Halogena bulbs are not good so make sure to steer clear of those.
Enjoy your day and glad I could help:D

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Oh that's cool thanks for your quick response. I have no idea about the gallon size the measurements are 5' long x 2' wide by 2.5' high. I did notice they were very cheap £2 (english money) compared to £5 for the basking bulbs I usually buy. Would I need any particular fittings to accompany the reflector bulb? I don't really plan to change as I have loads of basking bulbs stored away and I generally try to get a UV bulb every month so I have some of them stored too. I like to have lots of stuff for just in case, at my last count I had 29 basking bulbs and 9 UV bulbs extra :rolleyes: but then if there ever comes a time when I just don't have the money and something needs replacing I don't need to panic because I have it, wether it's bulbs, fittings or glass for the front of the viv's I have it all. I'm distracting myself from the point lol.

So as long as the bulb and the fitting match I'm good to go?
That is so smart! I was actually thinking about doing that myself, when I have more money. When I first started out with the Baby I bought two of everything but then I had temperature problems and light problems so I stopped doing that to save money but when I get my paycheck again this week I am going to buy another ReptiSun 10.0 tube and there is a website that I cannot remember it but it sells two reptisuns for 35 dollars I think it is. Does anyone remember what website that is, or are they not having that deal anymore if so?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
That's a really good deal and I would get them if it were free delivery but I'm in the UK so it's unlikely so would probably cost me more to add on the delivery than it would to go to a local shop and buy them :confused:

Latest posts