• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to pick for my substrate

ryano

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am in the process of setting up a tank for our new bearded dragon. He is currently a baby in a smaller tank but I am setting up a 75 gal tank for him. This tank will be in my family room and I want it to look very nice and natural. We are currently making all the rock formations for him and want it to all look like natural desert. I have read a ton of articles and forums on different substrates. Seems like everyone is pretty set on tiles being the best option. I however don't find them to natural when they have seams or grout in the middle where the tiles connect. Is there anything else that would look good? Pictures of ones that I have seen that I like and look like their actual environment are done with loose substrate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
You can try a natural/bioactive substrate, such as terra Sahara by the biodude, I have 3 friends with beardies on that hat substrate and they're doing great. You could also try out arcadias arid substrate as well. Broken pieces of slate are really good, given that you sand the sharp edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryano

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. I haven't seen much on the bioactive substrate. I will look into it.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. I haven't seen much on the bioactive substrate. I will look into it.

The biodude is the man. Check him out! I'm getting ready to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can also use excavator clay mixture you can form it and make little caves and that really is the most realistic that your going to get as they come from Australia and that is mostly clay..
Sand is just not a good choice for many reasons...with that big of a tank you can do plank tiles (longer than the normal 12x12) and butt them end to end so your not seeing the gap..

ryano

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. I have been looking at that clay and it is what I am leaning toward right now. It looks the most natural. Biggest cons I see to it are it's hard to clean, and it will dye the bottom of your dragon. I think I can deal with those two issues to get the look I want.

Latest posts