• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What substrait is best?

Mike123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im getting my bearded dragon setup in his bigger enclosure and im not sure what substrait to use. I was thinking about getting the Walnut shell substrait or carpet idk. What substrait is best?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im getting my bearded dragon setup in his bigger enclosure and im not sure what substrait to use. I was thinking about getting the Walnut shell substrait or carpet idk. What substrait is best?
Not the walnut shell it's toxic to dragons--- - carpet is expensive- you can go w/ slated ceramic tile and cut to tank size- no real coarse but no smooth either-- easy to clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution- also I would not grout use an thick shop paper towels underneath- or NON adhesive shelf liner--from your local home improvement store cut to tank size and clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Walnut shells are dangerously sharp and can cut eyes, bellies, and even internal organs if they're ingested. Carpet harbors bacteria, and nails and teeth can get stuck in it and pulled out. Paper towels, Tile as Sadie suggested, and non-adhesive shelf liner are all good non-loose substrates. If you want to make your tank bioactive or provide a more natural/enriching substrate, you can use one of the many bioactive soil recipes.

Latest posts