• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What size crickets do you recommend

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am trying to order Slyder his crickets now that he had decided to eat but I am not sure the size to order him. He ate about 10 crickets in one sitting and this is the first time he has done this since we had him. He has only been eating 5-6 crickets every other day so I have not kept many crickets on hand yet because he has not been eating. I was also able to get him to eat some greens today too, it was only 2 bits but was so happy to see. I am happy to see him starting to settle in so now it is time to stock up on my crickets. I have attached a picture of him in the bathroom sink that shows his size pretty good and if anyone can give me an idea on his age that would be great. He has a little belly today for the first time since we had him...so excited ;D Thank you all so much for your help.

100_0634-1.jpg

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's hard to tell his age just by a picture. As for crickets, you just have to see that the crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes. He looks quite young, a few months old, so it might just be 3 week crickets. Hope that helped !

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That does help. I am about to order him 1,000 crickets since I have read he should be eating 25-50 per feeding and with getting fed twice a day I need a lot of crickets. Does that sound right 50-100 per day? He has not shown much interest in eating until today (go figure after my cats knocked his crickets of the counter and ate almost all of them) and he is my first so I don't really know how much or have anything to go off of.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
YoYo ate a tone of crickets at that age. About 75 a day so that sounds about right.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor Slyder has never been fed that many crickets. The guy we got him from said he fed him about 10 crickets every other day and greens the days he did not get crickets. I knew he was feeding him wrong so as soon as I got him I changed that. I hope he starts eating more soon. I have been about to get him to eat about 10 a day and it seems to be getting better everyday.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is probably a good move to gradually work up the number of crickets. Just like humans, if a dragon gorges on food, it can lead to a very sick belly.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am going to hold off on ordering his crickets for now. I am just going to get him about 30 from the local pet store for the time being. He ate 3 this morning, he has never eaten in the morning. I think its a good thing that guy gave us Slyder, he was not getting proper care even if they guy thought he was doing right.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, it sounds like Slider had some luck on his side when he came into your care. It is unfortunate how many out there do not know how to properly care for these guys. But that is one reason for forums like this.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with you, many people have good intentions but intentions don't make a beardie healthy. I did my research but did not think that was good enough so here I am. I takes the stress out of learning to care for my new family member knowing that I have so many people here to help.

Latest posts