• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind of lighting do you use

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I personally am a firm believer in the benefits of using Mercury Vapor Bulbs due to heightened UV output, longer life, and it producing heat, UV rays, and brite light. But many are against MVBs so i wanted to see some of the varying opinions out there.
I use the T-Rex MVB for all of my breeders and my babies

What do you use?
;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have used MVBs in the passed. It worked great in our smaller tanks. But when we moved to our 75G one, it was too hot for Bernie. I know, it makes no sense.

I am partial to the ReptiSun 10.0 tube florescent.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I started off using a reptisun 10.0, now i use a mega-ray mvb. I think i might go back to the reptisun tube. I found it easier to adjust the temps in the viv. Its real hot in my house in the summer and real cold in the winter... Why are alot of people against MVBs?

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
I personally am a firm believer in the benefits of using Mercury Vapor Bulbs due to heightened UV output, longer life, and it producing heat, UV rays, and brite light. But many are against MVBs so i wanted to see some of the varying opinions out there.
personally, i think the safest way to increase output is the natural one of taking them outside on warm sunny days.
i've been using Reptisun or Reptiglo flourescent tubes [resting on the edge of the screen lid on his terrarium] combined with a Zoomed or Exoterra tight beam basking spot lamp [in a painter's fixture]. so far [13 yrs.] so good, but he's gone outside usually once a week for 30 min. to 1 hour on a sunny day during the warm part of the year, and i increase the wattage during the winter when he doesn't.
has anyone on this forum referenced this research? http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I have and I know there is a post regarding this article. I can't seem to find it....I'll keep hunting.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use the reptisun 10 tubes and a regular house light for heat. In winter I sometime use a 50 watt blacklight at night depending on house temps.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use both the Megas in two HUGE enclosures, and in the smaller one, I use a Reptisun.
Cryptic was kind enough to tell me how to get the megas conditioned so I didn't have to worry about sky high temps, and when my third dragon gets his new palace ( Sigh, yeah I know guys, but he isn't growing still, thinking he just might be done *Yardley*),he'll get a mega too.

Those interested in checking out the HUGE enclosures, go to introductions and find my user name. ;)
Janie :D

Latest posts