• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what is the best mvb bulb

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i currently have a zoo med mvb bulb 120 v for my 40 gal breeder tank. i would like to know what do you think the best mvb bulb is and were can i purchase it online and why do you think it is better than the others

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally don't think an MVB bulb has any business in a 40 gal & almost any bulb whose fixture plugs into a wall socket is a 120 Volt. MVBs are designed for much larger enclosures where minimum safe distances from the bulb can be maintained.

LizMartell

Bearded Dragon Egg
It would seem to me that the further away you put that MVB the more over-all area you would heat (like the intire 40 gal tank). From the info I've got you only want to use MVB in a BIG area like a room. Heard horror stories about burns from them.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A Reptisun 2.0 will do your BD absolutely no good at all. A 2.0 is only meant to supplement another stronger UVB source with 'Light' or for 'Nocturnal' critters that don't need UVB.

RS 2.0.jpg

A 10.0 should be used.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
what is the difference between repti glo and reptisun
Reptisun is supposedly better quality. Something about the UVB rays being stronger and reaching further... but that's going off of what I've heard, I can't quote that as an actuality. Someone else might have a better answer for you. I know Repti glo is so much cheaper, but I go with repti sun.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
okay so i put the mvb bulb back in untill i can get the 10.0 however i still have the 2.0 running with the mvb untill i cant get to the store to get the proper bulb. i have chose to do it this way because i don't the mvb bulb is giving off as much uvb as it use to. this is crazy even when you think you have learned it all about these little guys it is still more to learn

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Repti-Sun seems to be the most popular & seems to have the best reviews. I have used both & have not noticed any visible difference. But I also don't have a UVB Meter for testing. But I have to say that I used the Repti-Glo 10.0 Tubes exclusively in all of my enclosures for many, many years with no issues whatsoever. Personally think it to be not much more than a popularity contest ;).

A couple of years ago, I started hearing BS about the Repti-Glo bulbs. So I queried Frances Baines of uvguide.co.uk when her site was more active & was THE place for UVB info & she is responsible for many of the upgrades to the bulbs that we use today because of the reports on her website. This was her reply ...

However there are only a very few reports of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis associated with ExoTerra compact lamps or linear tubes ...and out of the half-dozen or so convincing cases I've collected over five years, (yeah, ok, that's not a lot, but the affected animals did suffer...) most, but not all, occurred when the reptile was able to get very close to the lamp.
I am told that probably because they are so cheap, Exoterra ReptiGlo tubes are one of the most popular brands on the market, so the incidence of injuries must be very low; the risk cannot be very great.
Personally, though - and everyone is entitled to their own opinion - I choose different brands for my own reptiles.
Frances Baines

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They must be a hell of a lot cheaper there, than here! $35-$40+ here for an 18"-24" reptiglo 10.0 tube

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I see, Petmountain does that's where I got the last UVB bulb that I ordered, lol I thought you were getting it locally for that price. My mistake. The prices I mentioned are PetsMart prices here.

Edit: Just Checked - Petmountain doesn't ship to Canada anymore :( lll does though :)

LizMartell

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is my lighting plan for my new tank 42x22x20...Get the Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit Electronic Dimming Terrarium Lamp Controller. This takes 2, 36'' bulbs. In one use the Zoo Med 36" Repti Sun 10.0 Fluorescent Bulb and in the other use the Zoo Med 36" Repti Sun 2.0 bulb for natural light for viewing.
Will this work? Or should I use another combo of fluorescent bulbs?

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...x-30-watts/?PMKSID=55rgcjv0n2l3bnvdrpfurtmiu1

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...scent-bulb/?PMKSID=55rgcjv0n2l3bnvdrpfurtmiu1

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...un-20-bulb/?PMKSID=55rgcjv0n2l3bnvdrpfurtmiu1

I have a 75 watt Zoo-Med Halogen basking bulb but I think I will need a higher watt for my tank. (I picked up a 50w and a 75w at Petsmart on sale for $5.00 each)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, I think that the light cycle unit is unnecessary & a waste of money. Fluorescent light bulbs are designed to run at full power, are not designed to be dimmed & would very likely shorten the lifespan of the Bulb & it's strength of UVB emitted. A 2 light system is not really necessary. The use of a 2.0 bulb is also a waste of money when an ordinary fluorescent bulb would do the same job of adding more light. UVA is basically nothing more that 'White Light'. Full length UVB coverage is not necessary, very little UVB will reach the floor for any length of time with the natural dissipation of the strength of UVB as they age experienced by any UVB bulb & is why they must be regularly replace even though they still shed light. UVB is really only required to cover the basking area. There should be areas of the enclosure that the BD can be away from the UVB should it feel the need. A timer would still be required for the Basking bulb. To me it is an unnecessary toy with just more to go wrong & malfunction.

My lights are on a timer running 12 On\12 Off, all of my BDs are invariably at their spot\perch for the night, an hour or more prior to lights out.

An 18"-24" under the Cabinet Fixture with the plastic cover removed, a 10.0 uvb bulb installed & on a timer along with the basking bulb would do the same job. Here is example of an Under the Cabinet fluorescent fixture that can easily be mounted inside an enclosure ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KVK8XGDAGKS4493GQVP

Regular everyday Philips 75W halogen bulbs heat my 90 gal (48"x18"x24") enclosures nicely here in Canada. Pet Store so called 'Specialty Basking Bulbs' are highly over priced (You got yours at a very good price) & no different than the equivalent found at the Hardware store generally for less than half the price. Any white or clear bulb of a type & wattage sufficient to provide the required temps does the job every bit as well.

What you do is entirely & ultimately up to you, these are just my personal views on the equipment that you have mentioned.

Good Luck

Latest posts