• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is swollen under her eye?

Donna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good Morning,
Please help my dear dragon! In Sept I noticed that my bearded dragon had some kind of swelling under her eye just below her eyelid. I took her to the vet and he gave me some Bactrim (she did not like at all) and a antibiotic to rub on the area. He was able to poke at the swelling but there was not much discharge. After about a week it did not look worse, but it did not look better either. The vet wants to do a biopsy and I am not sure if he is very knowledgeable about dragons-but neither am I, I will admit! Let me know if you have seen something like this before. She is eating well and pooping fine. Overall she is not acting like there is anything wrong. She does scratch at it from time to time and her eye is partially closed. Here are a couple of pics. Any advice would be welcomed!
2015-09-06 16.04.24.jpg
2015-09-23 11.55.33.jpg

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This doesnt look good to me. i would look for a reptile vet.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would have to agree that does not look good, I would for sure call a vet that specializes in reptiles... Hope things heal up and the eye doesn't get affected...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How is your dragon's eye??? Any updates?

Donna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry I had not seen these posts....well the eye has not gotten better. I tried to treat it with some raw honey, but she just bothered it more. I think it is a viral papilloma which once removed will probably return. We live in the west suburbs of chicago, il and I may take her to a vet in Algonquin. I just wish someone had more info so I can see if the vet is able to treat it. The first vet said he was a reptile vet, but he did not treat the sore. In fact after his $100 bill I still have a lizard in the same shape.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dang I was hoping that things were getting better :( I wish I knew more about these health issues...Wishing you luck in finding a vet that can help your fragon..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry I had not seen these posts....well the eye has not gotten better. I tried to treat it with some raw honey, but she just bothered it more. I think it is a viral papilloma which once removed will probably return. We live in the west suburbs of chicago, il and I may take her to a vet in Algonquin. I just wish someone had more info so I can see if the vet is able to treat it. The first vet said he was a reptile vet, but he did not treat the sore. In fact after his $100 bill I still have a lizard in the same shape.

How far west of Chicago? There is a great reptile vet in the city at Lawrence and California. It's called Animal House of Chicago http://www.animalhouseofchicago.com I used to take my frogs there and they were great. There's also a well known one in Skokie called Chicago Exotics http://www.exoticpetvet.com/aboutus.htm

Latest posts