• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is happening?!

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
Hi guys,

This is clearly not a normal poop, but i've never seen anything quite like it. Yes it is completely black.

If someone has any answers it'll be much appreciated!

200c131c6466471781d8f1b1626c296f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi guys,

This is clearly not a normal poop, but i've never seen anything quite like it. Yes it is completely black.

If someone has any answers it'll be much appreciated!

200c131c6466471781d8f1b1626c296f.jpg

In order to help you we need some information. What has he been eating, how long has he been pooping like this? What kind of lights are you using? How old are the lights? How old is he? Is he housed alone? Any important information about your beardie would be helpful. It's hard to help you help your beardie until we have some background information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
She has been eating Locusts and Fresh greens every day, and the poop has been like that today. All lights are within 4 months old. She is 1 and a half years and shes housed alone. No issues like this before. I have had beardies before, and this is the first time i've seen this. All theorys and information will be appreciated!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She has been eating Locusts and Fresh greens every day, and the poop has been like that today. All lights are within 4 months old. She is 1 and a half years and shes housed alone. No issues like this before. I have had beardies before, and this is the first time i've seen this. All theorys and information will be appreciated!

I am sorry for assuming she was a he. So so sorry.

Just a bit more information: the locust's and fresh greens - are they her normal food, or have you changed her staple recently? I'm assuming she's drinking water? With diarrhea she could get dehydrated, just an FYI to be on the lookout. How is her behavior? Has this changed her attitude or personality? I'm sure you know all this and are doing everything right. Again, just basic background information.

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
Haha, its fine dont worry!

Yes everything is exactly the same she has always had, she is exactly the same beardie as she was before, no differences at all in her behaviour or habits, thats why it makes me a bit more worried, i would hope to have noticed if something wasnt right, but theres always things im learning!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
From everything you've said and from what I know, which isn't much. Lol. I would give her a bath just to help with the dehydration and watch her. If she does this again, then I'm sorry but I would get her to the herp vet asap. You haven't changed anything (diet, viv, etc) and lights are good. There's no reason for this to have happened. The only thing I could see is that coccidia parasite but I'm no dr by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe more people will have a better idea on what it could be and why. I am sorry I'm not much help. I was hoping you would have said you changed her diet and her viv is brand new. That way it would have been an easy fix!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow that is black :( looks like it has some red to it as well.
If nothing has changed I would get her checked out to rule out internal parasites as they will cause this looseness...The quicker it is found out the better on her for sure for treatment. Keep her hydrated

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fecal exams are pretty cheap through most vets, and could shed some light on what's going on. A fecal for my beardie was 22 USD. Totally worth it!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's how much my fecal test is here in Cincinnati, Ohio. $22.00 not too bad for a piece of mind.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry that's soo big lol These folks are great and quick!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry that's soo big lol These folks are great and quick!!

I just have a question regarding the mail in fecal test. I was told the feces had to be no older than 24 hours old or else it could give wrong readings. How can they test feces if it's older than 24 hours or was I told wrong?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just have a question regarding the mail in fecal test. I was told the feces had to be no older than 24 hours old or else it could give wrong readings. How can they test feces if it's older than 24 hours or was I told wrong?

it's best if the freshest possible preferred within 48 hours for some tests.. but I've done 2-3 day mail with these folks and all was well.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
it's best if the freshest possible preferred within 48 hours for some tests.. but I've done 2-3 day mail with these folks and all was well.

Thank you! I live 1 state over from them so I'm close but not close enough to drop off. But in the future this would be nice to have. Can I make a copy of this and keep it in my beardie folder?

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Doctor Dragons are amazing! They are the only ones who have figured out that Bayne had roundworms. Even the vet didn't see it. They sent me the slides and everything. So glad Patsy told me about them!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would actually get him to a vet ASAP. Diarrhea is a sign something is going on, most likely parasites. It could cause dehydration if not treated. Dark poop in people can mean there is some sort of internal bleeding.

Latest posts