• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what good natural looking substrate would anyone recommend?

mylizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have heard calci sand is bad and normal sand is bad to so what good natural looking substrate would anyone recommend? Whenever I get a reptile, amphibian, fish or invertebrate I like it to look as natural as possible. Would a play sand, soil and clay with maybe some dry leaf litter mix work? I believe they are from dry scrub rather than desert’s is that right?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Would a play sand, soil and clay with maybe some dry leaf litter mix work?
No, that would not be a suitable substrate for a BD in captivity.

If a natural substrate is really desired, the only one I would recommend is strained Children's Washed Play Sand. I have used it for many years for all of my BDs 10+", nose to tip of tail. There are many non-particle choices that can be used also.

Latest posts