• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What feeders do you breed? What feeders do you buy?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
roaches don't stink at all compared to crickets...crickets will make you gag where the roaches you barely smell

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh ok thats good......

And id need a 20 gal tank minimun?

Haha i dont have a clue

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's a bit of an odor, but not much. I mean, NOTHING like crickets. (didn't mean to repeat Candice.....I'd had this typed before she posted. So I'll just leave it as confirmation).

Pet shops would be silly not to take free dubias. When I give them to mine, I'm probably giving them $300 to $400 worth of sales. They're about $30 per 100 right now.

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cheers for all your help guys ill prob start up a colony after gettin off from college in about 3 weeks

thanks again

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
right now I keep my crickets in a 18 gallon plastic bin with a hole cut out of the top. Would one of those work for roaches?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't breed my own feeders, then again the only insect chompers i have are the tiny gex and 1 BD, not too much of a hassle for me to just buy them.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardie Named Puff said:
Hey guys kinda new to all this but is it hard t breed crickets and roaches and all?

I mean most of you seem to live in a warm climate......

Seen as i live in Ireland weather reli isn't great so keeping them outside wouldn be possible without them dying.....

My gf doesn like the idea but i mean im payin €4.50 for a box of about 40 or so crickets (cheapest i can get them here)....

Was just wondering do you guys have any suggestions?

beardie named puff hows it goin where about in ireland are youim in the uk and i think you are payin well over the odds for crix buying them from the shops there are alot of online stores that ship to uk and ireland for free or guarenteed next day at a small fee i pay £8 for 500 and £12 for 1000 adult black crix its worth looking around.

paul

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandra... yes.
Oh... when you come to visit.. you'll see my roaches.. Even the Mads...

And my enclosures.. *wink*.
Janie

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Egg 80 eh im livin in Dublin.......

Ye i thought so too seems a bit much considering they onli last a week.....

Where do you get yours from?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well a few depends whos got the best deal on at the time lol i mainly use livefoodsdirect, rickslivefood,
livefood warehouse, live foods but the list is endless now dont get me wrong not all have free postage as i usually buy from the one with best deal at the time and this is only a list of afew of the ones ive used

paul

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wow, I'm really liking the sounds of using roaches after reading this post. Where should I go (online) to buy my starter colony? how many should I buy? and can they be shipped to NY? I read some people saying certain states you cant get them. I really like the idea of the dubai roaches. Crix aren't hard to breed, but man they do reek for an apartment =/. Thanks in advance!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Theroachguy.com
His name is Jason.. Tell him Janie sent ya.. be prepared for war stories of aching backs and sore feet ;) And fair dealings.
Janie

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
this site looks like a good deal, what do I need to get started though??? I have zero experience with roaches. don't see too many of them in the frigid north. should I buy the special feed he sells and water cubes or is cat food and a water dispenser good enough? gets my crix by just fine.

i keep seeing that they come with like one or two adults pairs, thats enough to get started?? just two of them?!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
northface75 said:
wow, I'm really liking the sounds of using roaches after reading this post. Where should I go (online) to buy my starter colony? how many should I buy? and can they be shipped to NY? I read some people saying certain states you cant get them. I really like the idea of the dubai roaches. Crix aren't hard to breed, but man they do reek for an apartment =/. Thanks in advance!

You should be fine getting them there. It gets cold enough in the winter to kill them off if they should get out. I live in FL where they could breed and become a problem if they were to get out.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can start out with the starter kit, just get a sterlite container and lid.
You can get the chow, or make your own. Easier in the beginning to go with the prepared chow he offers, later we can help you mix up your own...
You can start with just the adults, or get the adults and say, 100 of the nymphs.
The adults will start laying babies with in a month of arrival, and those nymphs will grow to adulthood in around 3-5 months.
It's all what you can afford, and there's nothing saying you can't supplement that colony in a few months with mixed sizes.
Hope that helps !
Janie

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was thinking of getting the 120 mixed with 1 adult pair or the 210 mixed and 2 pair to get my colony started. I'm definitely going to but his premade food and water cubes.

should I go 120 or 210 to start off? It's only for my two girls, I dont want to get way more than I need. also, how long will it take before this colony will completely support my girls? (meaning I wont have to buy crix anymore).

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Around 6 months if you don't feed off before then...
Basically you need enough adults (females) to continue reproducing nymphs (around 30 every month) to feed off and maintain breeding levels.
I started out with two babies, and one juvenile.
I started my colony of several hundred, I can't remember how many adult pairs, and a week before they (the dragons) arrived at my home, I added more nymphs.
I've had to reup several times, as my dragons grew, and the number went to 4, then I was also feeding up to 9 leo geckos on those dubias.

Crickets have never been ordered, though reupping has happend many times... i think 6-7 times in that first calendar year.

Hope that helps out !
Janie

lqdragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I raise dubia and supers mostly, sometimes we will get silkie or hornworm eggs. Got 7 mouths to feed, so gotta have a lot of feeders ::)

Latest posts