• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What else do I need or custom tank?

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
So I have a 150 watt repti halogen
A 18" 50 UVB t8 fluorescent bulb

I know I need more of the light to cover the cage...
The tank is 24" wide, 60" length and about 18" tall.
Cool side stays at 72 and basking 85ish... I have to get a digital thermometer tOmorrow

I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track.
Tracy

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I did.. But I guess my question is... Since the tank us so big and I already have a 150 watt... Do I buy another one? Is ther any easier way to get the heat an light without the tons of fixtures?

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Re lighting can you tell me where is the best place to site the thermostat to get an accurate reading

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Here is my progress for his tank :)
more 009.jpg

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Its a metal top with a honey comb hole pattern through it... kinda a mesh but it opens up... hard to describe.. but it allows for air flow but you can attach things to the top.. does that make sense?

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Oh.. and P.S... thanks Germ for all the help! I'm sorry I have had a ton of questions.. but you have helped alot :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Re lighting can you tell me where is the best place to site the thermostat to get an accurate reading
Basking spot = Directly at the basking spot.

Cool side = Floor area furthest from the heat bulb.

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Germ.. you think maybe I should just build a higher basking spot? I am getting a digital therm. today.. but how far off temp wise are the mounted regular non digital ones?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Analog thermometers have been known to be out as much as 10-20%, while others are reasonably accurate, but are difficult to get accurate temps in the right places. Thermometers stickied on the glass will give more the temp of the glass (which is affected by the ambient room temps) rather than an accurate measurement of the enclosure environment & are useless for basking temps.

I would be concerned about whether there is any effective UVB reaching your BD with the present bulb placement ...

A screen can block/reflect/filter as much as 50% (Or even more if it is very small mesh) of the effective UVB. A UVB bulb has a limited range. This dissipates/deminishes as the bulb ages & is why they must be regularly replaced. I am unfamiliar with the Zilla 12% & can't seem to find Minimum & Maximum distances. May be written on the box. A 10% bulb generally has a maximum effective distance of 20" from the middle of an unfiltered (No screen) New bulb. By ratio, I would guess that a 12%s max effective distance would be in the vicinity of 24" from a New bare bulb. There is also not as much radiated off the ends as from the middle. UVB should fully cover the basking spot. All this has to be taken into consideration when setting up the bulbs & basking spot. I'm thinking that in order to receive effective UVB, the basking spot should be maximum within 8-10" from the bulb if filtered through a screen, so adjustments aren't as necessary as the bulb ages.

Given the size of your enclosure & this is only a suggestion, you may find it more effective placing the basking spot directly in the middle, which would implement the 2 ends as cooler areas. This would more effectively heat the larger enclosure & and enable the use of the middle of your UVB bulb, also.

Another thing you may consider to make the UVB more effective, is to fasten the fixture to the underside of the screen, thus getting the full advantage of the bulbs UVB potential, as it would then be unfiltered or blocked. Also just a suggestion, although I think it to be a good one, given the size of your enclosure.

Personally, all my UVB fixtures are mounted inside my enclosures.

Good luck

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Great idea...I will try and attach to the underside... as far as the Heat lamp... I want to attach on the inside... but I just worriythat my beardie may get burnt b/c of the 150 watt output.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Somehow mounting the heat lamp inside safely, just doesn't sound feasible in an 18" tall enclosure. Just saying ...

How coarse is the screen, is the honeycomb thick, causing it to reflect/block the majority of the heat? Really sounds strange that a 150W halogen won't give you basking temps. I have used an ordinary 90W Philips Halogen in a dome Brooder lamp fixture, that would give me higher than basking temps on the floor, placed on top of a coarse screen (Fine Expanded Metal) on top of my 90Gal 24" tall.

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
I'm gonna get a digital thermometer and see if the ones I got were just defective or something. Can an everyday digital therm. be okay under a lot of heat?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aww, I see. A lot of Blockage there. There would be very little UVB getting through that & is definitely a big part of your heat problem. You may have to figure out where your Basking spot is going to be permanently located & cut a hole just smaller than your dome fixture to allow the heat to radiate through unobstructed & definitely have to mount the UVB inside/under the screen in order for it to be effective at all.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes a normal digital thermometer with a sensor should be just fine. I used to use indoor/outdoor thermometers with the sensor attached to the basking spot & the main part mounted with velcro strips to keep it off the glass at the other end for the cool side temp. Worked really well for at a glance reading of both temps.

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so my tank temp at basking spot is 95F. I think the lid is absorbing the heat. Now I gotta figure out how to cut the metal for the heat lamp ... I don't know! I don't want tO mount it inside for fear of the beardie getting burned when touching it.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so my tank temp at basking spot is 95F. I think the lid is absorbing the heat. Now I gotta figure out how to cut the metal for the heat lamp ... I don't know! I don't want tO mount it inside for fear of the beardie getting burned when touching it.
In case you misunderstood me, I also think that attempting to put it inside your 18" tall enclosure is not a good plan for the same reasons. What I was suggesting with the hole thing, is cut the hole slightly smaller than the dome you are using, so it would still stay resting on top, but the Heat & Light would then be able to radiate unobstructed through the hole. Doing it this way, your basking spot should not be near enough to cause any threat of touching/burning.

Did you consider moving the basking spot to the center of your enclosure?

Good Luck

Latest posts