• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what Else do I need before....

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK, we are soon to be new owners of a baby rainbow BD. I already have a 40gal with lid and lights, UVB & heat and dishs, flat substrate and dig thermometer. Baby is 10 weeks old so what size am I looking at for food? Need to order it. What else do I need? Thanks
Tamara

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
food should be no bigger than space between the dragons eyes. at 10 weeks im guessing about a 1/4 to 3/8 in cricket. you also need an exotic vet. you will need to take your new guy in for a fecal float about a month after you get him. let me know if you cant find one and i will help you.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You will also need a climb to a platform or flat rock (River Rocks Seem to work the best, but is not an absolute). Or a sturdy branch either natural (sterilized) or artificial to be used as a basking spot. I suggest keeping the enclosure really simple to start with, enhancements can be made a month or 2 down the road, to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye &/or more natural looking. I recommend the K.I.S.S setup to start with, to allow your new addition to acclimate more easily, as stress free as possible & make it easier to find it's food, etc. Have the setup & temps ready prior to acquiring it, so it's new home is not constantly changing.

Another recommendation, that most new Keepers don't usually like & find very difficult to do is ... For the first week to 10 days, handle the new little one as little as possible, keep handling limited to necessary enclosure maintenance, feeding if needed, misting & warm soaks. To it, you will be this strange, giant, possibly threatening Predator while in this unfamiliar new territory. During this first period of time, it will learn to associate to you as it's food source, a good thing, not a threat, as stress free as possible. Do not force it to bask, by putting back on it's perch, it will explore on it's own, in it's own time. It will naturally find what & where it needs to be at any given time. They know where they are comfortable, what temps it needs & when, much better than we do, as long as the basics are provided & up to par. If you have any questions about temps, etc, check the care sheet provided under the General Discussion portion of this forum.

When you do handle it, always try to approach it from the front, being sure that it can see you, so as to not 'surprise' it. Slide your fingers under it's body to give full support of it & as much of it's tail as possible. If it balks, gapes or nips at you, it is generally better to attempt it another time. Be very cautious when handling, they are prolific jumpers & very fast, seem to think that they can fly like Superman, from almost any height. They are also, quite proficient at sensing when you are distracted or your attention is drawn elsewhere & they will scoot. Sometimes wrapping it in a soft blanket will help if it is quite fidgetty to initial handling, the warmth seems to have a calming effect & also helps to contain it somewhat, without the fear of hurting it.

Some keepers will place a tissue or cloth that they have kept close to their skin (Have read instances of women placing a soft cloth in their Bra for a day, men a t-shirt that they have worn, tied in a tight ball), then placing it in the enclosure for that first week or so, so they will become familiarized with your scent without actual contact.

Good Luck & Congrats on finding the pet of your Hubby's choice, your are both in for a treat ;) .

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK just talked with Tammy Draggintails. I have a list of what she is feeding him. Hubby will be here when he arrives if weather holds for those days.
I wouldd be dang lucky to find a vet that does reptiles as we are farm country. Horses, cows and goats not a problem but reptiles yea right not in this area. I am out in the country closest city is like hour away. Our town is not that big and our vet is mobil even though he has an office that we got to for dog. I am in East Tn close to VA and NC.

Yes, I was planning on getting him in the cage and leaving him be for a few days. I sure he will be shook up due to shipping and being in new enviroment. Right now I am looking at up dating my bulbs and fixture. Have to walk property for a good rock that is talk enough. I was thinking of wood log but everything here is waterlogged due to all the rain we have had all winter. Not to worry about cleaning I know how to do it. We live organicly so no worries about checmicals on anything I harvest on the place. No one around us spray or uses checmicals either but then again they are so far away it would not matter. We have almost 5 acres here plus a buffer of another 40 or more from neibors.

I do need to replace my heat/basking bulb. Tried it out last night did not work. So I need one for a 40gal breeder tank. I am thinking of one of the combo bulbs but need to look into those more. That would require new hood. Got to call my petstore I deal with see what they have before I order on line. That is an hours drive one way.
UPDATE:I just ordered the T5 arcadia12% with hood. So now need suggestions on wattage for house bulb for the 40tank.

The tshirt thing I did with a puppy and adult male I had bought out of state years ago. I used to bred dogs. No have no plans on breeding BDs. I have enough breeding going on with the farm animals and feeders for snakes.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Basking bulb/wattage that is needed will depend on many variables. The ambient temps of the room that it is being kept in, type of bulb, frosted or clear, distance from the screen in the fixture used, distance from the basking spot, whether your enclosure is a 40 gal long or a breeder tank, etc. Trial & error is the only way to be sure. I've found that a Dome type fixture works much better than hoods, directs the heat better, along with easier placement manipulation.

A fairly easy way to get the temps right is to find a bulb that, when placed at a far end of the enclosure, will give you a temp of 80-85F (27-30C) on the floor at the far other end after a few hours. Then adjust the basking spot up or down directly below it until temps of 105-110F (40-44C) are achieved, again after a few hours. Keeping in mind that the UVB bulb must also cover this area & be close enough to be effective through the screen.

Personally, I use Halogen bulbs for heat, more heat, brighter/whiter light, less power used. Available at most hardware stores. I would think that a 50W Halogen Flood or a regular 100W household bulb would be good to start out with & make adjustments from there. As mentioned, trial & error is the only way for any particular setup, as they are all somewhat a little different.

Good Luck

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am thinking of one of the combo bulbs but need to look into those more.
I am guessing that by this, you are referring to an MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb). If you are contemplating such a bulb, I recommend that you very thoroughly research each particular bulb that you are thinking about. Almost all manufacturers of MVBs have been having problems of late with their bulbs, causing adverse effects on the animals they are used on. Either way to much, or harmful UV output, others, to little. Please be sure that any of these bulbs, that you may choose, have since rectified the problems. With some of these bulbs, either they also put out too high of heat, while others may need a second heat source to provide the necessary heat, depending on the setup. Extreme care must also be taken to be within the Manufacturer's Min/Max distances & are generally for larger enclosures in order to provide Minimum allowable distances from the bulb. Personally I don't recommend them at all anymore, particularly for a smaller enclosure like a 40 Gal.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea I decided not to go that way. Instead got the fixture for a arcadia. The tank is a 40 breeder. One of the deluxe kits haha. At least I have use for the hoods and I think I can trade bulbs in for crickets at my petstore. I did not buy it there but they are good bout trading stuff. Now just waiting to see what outside temps will be like for wed. If they hold as is predicted then he will be here Thrus. I will have to put order in for worms at Mulberry Mon.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hope the weather holds as predicted, so you can welcome your new addition, without delay. Of course you realize that pics of this one will be a must ;).

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
:( They did not hold looks like another week. We now have listed lows in the 30's all week. Yep plan on pics will have to buy new camera for it also.
Tamara

Latest posts