• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What dose this mean?

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
I noticed that my dragons over all color has darkend a lot. Is this bad? What could this mean? (She is sleeping) not the best pic, but here is an idea of what it looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragons beard popped up all the sudden, but it wasn’t in the way trying to scare us off. Because when she did this we weren’t very close to her. She was on a towel in front of the heater. What dose it mean? Sometimes it went up and down like our throats do when we swallow something

Attachments

• A14EE754-42B8-4C21-8017-80635B5B03C6.jpeg
    A14EE754-42B8-4C21-8017-80635B5B03C6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • BAEF97D8-BC88-435B-8D23-59A9FA115D8D.jpeg
    BAEF97D8-BC88-435B-8D23-59A9FA115D8D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 288846EC-EC8E-421F-B22D-33B144E0DC84.jpeg
    288846EC-EC8E-421F-B22D-33B144E0DC84.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Cydnee, from what I hear they can puff beards when stressed or threatened, looking for a mate, being territorial, are hungry, or sometimes they may puff them when they are excited. Looking at her beard it doesn't look black, which usually goes along with being stressed or threatened.

I do notice that my guy will puff up his beard like this sometimes just before and during his sheds. It's like he's loosening dead skin or something. Is she getting ready to shed? About all I know on puffing. Hoping experts can chime in with some thoughts. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Cydnee, from what I hear they can puff beards when stressed or threatened, looking for a mate, being territorial, are hungry, or sometimes they may puff them when they are excited. Looking at her beard it doesn't look black, which usually goes along with being stressed or threatened.

I do notice that my guy will puff up his beard like this sometimes just before and during his sheds. It's like he's loosening dead skin or something. Is she getting ready to shed? About all I know on puffing. Hoping experts can chime in with some thoughts. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
That’s ok, but she will usually hiss at me and the beard was black when she was threatened so I think it’s one of those other things. Thank you!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragons beard popped up all the sudden, but it wasn’t in the way trying to scare us off. Because when she did this we weren’t very close to her. She was on a towel in front of the heater. What dose it mean? Sometimes it went up and down like our throats do when we swallow something
, how many times has she done this? My bearded dragon flexes her beard quite often in a none threating manor. You might want to move the scented candle as well ik it has a lid on. Bearded dragons do have a good sense of smell.

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Mine does this every now and then. What are your temps? She could be cold. Also, have you moved around her cage any time recently? She also could be stressed out about something.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I noticed that my dragons over all color has darkend a lot. Is this bad? What could this mean? (She is sleeping) not the best pic, but here is an idea of what it looks like
Beardies get darker when their temps lower (usually at night) and get brighter during the day after basking for a while. It's so that they can absorb more or less heat, depending on their conditions. It should clear up soon if your temps are correct.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
It's pretty normal for a beardie to sleep with reduced colors. As long as the nighttime sleeping temps are above 70 (some say 65), you don't need to give additional heat at night. (I've heard that keeping it too hot at night is not great and reduces daytime activity although I have not verified this.) Daytime temps obviously should heat up quite significantly to around 100, 110 for babies near the basking spot and she should color up.

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
, how many times has she done this? My bearded dragon flexes her beard quite often in a none threating manor. You might want to move the scented candle as well ik it has a lid on. Bearded dragons do have a good sense of smell.
Ok, and not very often

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Beardies get darker when their temps lower (usually at night) and get brighter during the day after basking for a while. It's so that they can absorb more or less heat, depending on their conditions. It should clear up soon if your temps are correct.
Ok that’s good, temps are 100 on warm side and 75 on cool side

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's pretty normal for a beardie to sleep with reduced colors. As long as the nighttime sleeping temps are above 70 (some say 65), you don't need to give additional heat at night. (I've heard that keeping it too hot at night is not great and reduces daytime activity although I have not verified this.) Daytime temps obviously should heat up quite significantly to around 100, 110 for babies near the basking spot and she should color up.
Ok that’s good. We just got new lights. 100 on warm side and 75 on cool side

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Her coloring is fine, what you do want to look out for is the beard getting dark black , the end if the tail will get dark grey , these are indications of stress and or shes sick and something is wrong, she looks okay from what i can see that is...., next time shes out try and get us another picture for us so we can confirm 100%

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Coloration change is normal to absorb / reflect the heat hun.

If his beard goes black for a little bit here and there he is stressed or defensive. If it is black all the time he is very sick and he will need to see a vet. Just for future reference :)

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Was this when you first turned her lights on in the morning? They do this to stretch their beards when they wake up. I call it my guys morning flex haha

Cydnee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Coloration change is normal to absorb / reflect the heat hun.

If his beard goes black for a little bit here and there he is stressed or defensive. If it is black all the time he is very sick and he will need to see a vet. Just for future reference :)
Thank you so much

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Her coloring is fine, what you do want to look out for is the beard getting dark black , the end if the tail will get dark grey , these are indications of stress and or shes sick and something is wrong, she looks okay from what i can see that is...., next time shes out try and get us another picture for us so we can confirm 100%
End of tail getting darker? Combined with beard getting black right? It seems Dex's tail tip has always been a little darker than the rest of his tail and body. Been that way since he was little. Should I be worried? I've done the little pinch test on it and he wasn't happy and swung around to glare at me and flicked his tail out of my reach when I did it so he has feeling in it. I do wonder why his tail end always looks darker. Sign of something I'm missing?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
End of tail getting darker? Combined with beard getting black right? It seems Dex's tail tip has always been a little darker than the rest of his tail and body. Been that way since he was little. Should I be worried? I've done the little pinch test on it and he wasn't happy and swung around to glare at me and flicked his tail out of my reach when I did it so he has feeling in it. I do wonder why his tail end always looks darker. Sign of something I'm missing?
If its just the very tip it could be a tail nip? Tail nips heal darker for some reason, if its a good three inches then its might be stress

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If its just the very tip it could be a tail nip? Tail nips heal darker for some reason, if its a good three inches then its might be stress
Ahhh, phew! Thanks! It's only about an inch, inch and a half. There is a little something at the base of where it starts to darken. Like it might have been kinked or something. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it and he does have feeling in the tip apparently as he flicked his tail away when I tested it. It hasn't changed in any way and is growing with the rest of his body which is good, I think.

Latest posts