• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are the chances of getting a parasite from a beardie?

mango

Bearded Dragon Egg
I took my beardie to the vet last Friday because he was sleeping more than usual and not eating as much. He has had slightly runny poop since I got him in June, but I honestly didn't think much of it because it wasn't straight diarrhea or anything, and he was acting fine apart from that. Anyway, turns out he has 3 parasites....coccidia, pinworms and one other that I don't remember the name of (think it started with a P). Got him started on meds; ponazuril, panacur and flagyl. I'm supposed to take him back Friday the 23rd for a retest.

My question is, what are the chances of getting something from him? I'll admit there have been times that I handled him without washing my hands after, but I always clean up poop immediately and wash my hands after that. He rarely poops in his viv, it's usually on my bed (uuughhh) or the tile floor in the kitchen. I either wash my bedding or wipe it up off the floor then spray with bleach (although I've read that bleach won't kill coccidia...). I do live with a toddler and I worry about him as sometimes he plays on the kitchen floor with toys and stuff. If any of us were gonna get sick, wouldn't it have happened by now? I've heard that coccidia can be very difficult to get rid of when it gets this bad so I'm worried it's going to be a long process...blah...

Sorry this post is kinda sloppy I'm in a hurry

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Most parasites, like coccidia and pinworms are species specific which means there is zero chance that you would get them. However, they can carry things like salmonella that can be passed onto you. So it's always important to practice good hygiene especially when dealing with feces. I would like to note that coccidia and pinworms are actually normal for beardies to have in small amounts. A few more experienced users here told me this and than my vet explained the same thing to me. When a dragon has higher levels than he/she should of pinworms or any parasite it can cause their coccidia levels to rise.

Keep a close eye on your little guy while he is on all that medication. Make sure he isn't showing a severe decrease in energy and is still eating and pooping regularly. Keep him well hydrated as well. It may also be wise to invest in a good probiotic for him while he is taking treatment just to restore some of the good bacteria back into him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Super good he's getting treatment. Brummation with parasites is bad bad bad. My Hef poops on my bed too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk