• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Went to Petsmart today, made me mad

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I went to Petsmart today to see if they had the size crickets I need. As always, I stopped by to look at the lizards and saw something that made me so mad. They had 2 tiny hatchlings that they were feeding full size superworms, the temp was only 80 and did not have a basking light. A nation chain pet store of all places should be taking better care of them then this. If they can not display and feed them correctly they should not be selling them at all. Most people who work there do not know anything about what they sell and tell people how to care for them how they do at the store and most people do not have brains enough to do research on their own and just take the word of the high school kids at the store. I am far from knowing everything about beardies but from my little knowledge I could see it was all wrong. Petco was a little better, they had a basking spot and offered greens but they too where feeding superworms to babies. The worms where the right size for the them but still, superworms for babies.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I so understand your feelings. Did you have a chance to talk to the manager? If not call and leave a message. You never know you might educate them to do better.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I posted a similar vent to this one awhile back. I was informed by someone here who used to work for a large pet store chain that they have the same standards of care for all their reptiles. She tried to steer them in the right direction and when she realized they didn't care (it's cheaper not to, you know ::) ) she quit.

It's disgusting, I know... read about green iguanas in the pet trade. That'll really tick you off :-[

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did not get a chance to talk to anyone but since they are the only place with in 50 miles that has the size crickets I will be there many more times and will talk to them. Today I had to get in and out so my husband would not be late to work.

I have read a little about the green iguana trade. I don't understand people and how they can put a price tag on life and happiness of something so innocent.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
if you get chance speak to the manager you never know they might make some changes, probably not but its worth the chat to educate them.
over here we got pets at home superstore who are now beginning to stock reps not sure what they are getting in but ill find out soon theres heat mats in the tanks uv lights none suitable for beardies no baskin lamp
the probe is touching the heat mat well cable tied to it as with the digi thermometers, the tank size is 3' tall by 1' square and by the looks of it are going to be using calcium sand as substrate i could be wrong but thats the substrate they had out when everything else was on the shelf ill start a thread and update you.
sorry to steal your thread
paul

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The Petsmart company is a farce. I know of two employees in the reptile section that are beardie owners/lovers and they are horrified that when some shipments came in this winter the beardies are frozen from improper transportation in trucks. Some even close to dying and some dead already. They have reported this time and time again to the head office and still nothing is done to rectify the situation. DON'T BY ANYTHING FROM PETSMART is you can avoid it.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No worries about stealing the thread.

With all the bad places out there I think I need to say I found the most wonderful store, Blazein Reptile. They are a reptile store but they also do school field trips and birthday parties. They have all of their critters, reptile or furry in the proper enclosures. The beardies are in perfect set ups. They have 2 monitors in a room is the best way to describe it. It is about 10 feet by 4 feet. Everyone is fed according to what they need. The staff will take as much time as you need to answer any questions you have even if you are not going to buy anything from them. They even take the lizards out to let the kids pet them and tell them all about what they are petting, what they eat, how to care for them, how to handle them. They truly are the best place I have ever been to. They even gut load and dust the crickets they feed. They also have snakes and lizards that are not for sale that are purely education animals. They have rattle snakes and other venomous things that are used to teach kids how to respect and preserve nature and the living things in it. They also will not sell you anything that is not right for the creature you are intending to put in it. Prior to getting you anything they will ask what do you have/planing to get. If you tell them you are planing to get a beardie they will only sell you a 40 breeder or larger and tell you to partition off part depending on the size. They would rather refuse a sale then run the risk of an animal ending up in something too small. OK I am going on now so I will stop.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
sounds like a great place, only iff all rep shops were as educated as them there would be alot more happy customers happy and healthy reps
paul

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Michele654 said:
The Petsmart company is a farce. I know of two employees in the reptile section that are beardie owners/lovers and they are horrified that when some shipments came in this winter the beardies are frozen from improper transportation in trucks. Some even close to dying and some dead already. They have reported this time and time again to the head office and still nothing is done to rectify the situation. DON'T BY ANYTHING FROM PETSMART is you can avoid it.

See, now that just makes me want to hurt someone... seriously. :mad:

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes, unfortunately the chain stores aren't there to sell you healthy quality pets. They're there to make money.
If your pet lives 10-20 years as expected, they won't get anymore business from you in that time. Kinda defeats their purpose.........know what i mean?

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Went to my petsmart today. I asked them about their BD care. She showed my the UV and basking area and they were on Repti carpet. I told her about the other stores and she said they are supposed to follow the same guidelines. I thought that was interesting.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Petsmart follows slightly better care guidelines. For example, they use repticarpet substrate for 99.9% of their animals and only use ReptiSUN 10.0 UV. Petsmart is a Zoomed dealer therefore will use and advertise their products more. Petco is the opposite. They use calcium sands usually and are hagen/exoterra distributors and will only use ReptiGLO 10.0 for their animals. I also notice (atleast the petsmarts ive been to) they keep less to a cage and dont have as many reptiles in general.

Latest posts