• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird behavior?

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all. I was just wanted to share something with y'all that my 8 month old beardie has been doing and see if y'all think it's weird. Renegade finally discovered his cave in his tank a couple months ago. It's been in there about 5 or 6 months. He wont be able to use it when he's full grown unfortunately, but he likes it for now. In the last few weeks he has started going into the cave fairly early in the evening (around 7pm) and there have been few days where he didn't come out at all until I moved the cave to check on him. I actually took the cave out during the day because I thought he should eat. I left him in it one day just to see if he'd come out. I'm just wondering if it would be normal for a beardie to go in their cave and sleep for a couple days. Since he is only about 8 months old, I imagine he isn't trying to go into brumation. What do y'all think? He and his brother are definitely well fed, with chubby little bellies. Would it be terrible to just let Renegade stay in his cave for a couple days to see if he comes out on his own?

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My Worley is close to 8 months old and has recently taken a huge liking to his cave as well. I haven't noticed if he stays in there throughout the day or not (he really likes his hammock). He often retreats to his cave after eating (around 6:00ish most nights) and sometimes falls asleep all curled up. I'm not sure if it is normal or not though.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Those awkward teen years....LOL Idk....Check your temps, I know when my temps were off Dillinger didn't do much of anything all day or night. Just pretty much stayed in the same spot.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
welcome to the world of beardies. they do all kinds of weird stuff just to stress us out. dont panic. although we would prefer that a young guy like yours not hide for a few days, it is not uncommon, especially this time of year. when mine do that i set them on their baskin spots as soon as their lights come on cause i know they wont move until they warm up which is usually 1 to 2 hours and then i try to feed. sometimes they stay out but if they dont, i dont stress. as long as THINGS are still moving and they arent dropping weight, they are fine.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He didn't come out at all yesterday and so far this morning he hasn't come out either. I guess I'll get him out of his cave, let him warm up, maybe give him a little bath and some food and if he goes back in his cave, at least I know he isn't doing without.

I need some ideas for some bigger caves. My other baby is too big for the cave I have and Renegade will eventually outgrow his. What can I use that will be sturdy and secure? Thought about stacking some rocks but I'm afraid they will be knocked over.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i use rocks in mine as you can see in my avatar picture. two smaller ones on the bottom and one flat long one on top.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine did the "hiding" all day trick as well, I removed the hide. Shes been fine ever since and a hide is not needed really unless theyre in Full brumation, which yours is too young for right now

Do as suggested, recheck temps and UVB, is it older than 6 mnths and maybe needs to be replaced?
Has a fecal been done to rule out parasites?

Latest posts