• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird Behavior??? Black Beard???

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
I adopted my 5 year old bearded dragon about a week and a half ago, and I'm not a hundred percent sure on how well he was taken care of. Since I've taken him though, he eats greens everyday and protein every other day with calcium 5x a week. He has started pooping regularly. He had his first bath with me a few days ago. However, his beard is dark, so I want to be sure he is not ill. He also keeps tapping the glass every morning when I turn on the lights from the evening. He has been tearing up his tank during the day when I am gone also. I come home and he is relaxing, but as soon as he sees me he starts getting a little wild. I would take him out to run around, but I heard to let him acclimate to the surroundings for a week or two and since his beard is dark, I am hesitant to bring him out to run about. Even though he is active, eating, and using the bathroom, could his black beard mean he is ill? If possible, what signs should I look for? I am new to the beardie scene, so I would love any input!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like something is bothering him. My boy black beards because he sees girls. One of my girls black beards when she is upset about something, usually when something hurts her. She has a leg that she sprained that tends to act up every now and then and I can tell when it bothers her because she black beards.

He sounds like he might want some attention. I would take him out and hold him and let him run around if you can and see if the beard changes. If he still is continuous black bearding, I would have him checked out by a vet to make sure nothing is wrong with him.

Latest posts