• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waxworms

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello all,
We have ran into a dilemma. Spyra will be out of food tomorrow and Sunday thanks to a shipping error with her dubias. Our local pet store carries waxworms which we have been wanting to try out (as a treat only) for awhile now anyways. So we are going to pick some up.
So here is the issue I'm faced with, how many wax worms should I give her at a time? I know they are high in fat and should only be used as a treat once in awhile but I also do not want to let her go hungry the next two days. However, I also do not want to put her health at risk. What do you guys suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony Radford

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't know for sure, I'd say 10 or so? Does the pet store have Superworms as well? They would make a better (emergency/short term) staple.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Have you tried local Craigslist for dubia's?

Did I send you the copy of what the vet gave me where it shows you what each worm has in it and it's comparison?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't know for sure, I'd say 10 or so? Does the pet store have Superworms as well? They would make a better (emergency/short term) staple

Thank you for the response Anthony. They do carry them but they are huge. I do want to let her try out supers but have been under the impression I should order small supers? Or would it be fine to go with the big scary ones?I'm very unfamiliar with both feeders and a little unsure about what I should do

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We get the big supers from PetSmart and feed them to Wally. The only thing is he will sometimes leave the tail or head on the floor.

I've got a few videos of him eating those if you'd like to see them.

I think Spyra would do great with them.

I do limit him as they are harder to digest but not as bad as mealworms. Wally LOVES them.

I know a few people on here use them as a staple.

Anthony Radford

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you for the response Anthony. They do carry them but they are huge. I do want to let her try out supers but have been under the impression I should order small supers? Or would it be fine to go with the big scary ones?I'm very unfamiliar with both feeders and a little unsure about what I should do

As my wonderful Better Half said, the large Superworms are just fine for Spyra. She is about Wally's age, and he LOVES going after his Supers... they are long, but that's not a problem for them, they can bite and chew them up. Sometimes, a section of head or tail may drop as they chew though...

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I responded for Tony as he's outside with Lacey!

Sorry wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes.

Giving that he's your husband I'm sure he won't mind, after all he's gotta live with you lol. But all jokes aside, I appreciate both of your responses.

If Wally eats them Spyra is just a little smaller so she should be able to handle them as well. How many of them would you recommend I give her during a feeding until her BSFL and dubias arrive Monday?
Also this may sound a little crazy but I have herd that beardies can become addicted to them, not completely sure how true that is. What is your intake on that?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also (I know I'm on a roll with all of these questions today lol sorry) will we need to do anything special for the superworms? Like gut load, or refrigerate them?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Giving that he's your husband I'm sure he won't mind, after all he's gotta live with you lol. But all jokes aside, I appreciate both of your responses.

If Wally eats them Spyra is just a little smaller so she should be able to handle them as well. How many of them would you recommend I give her during a feeding until her BSFL and dubias arrive Monday?
Also this may sound a little crazy but I have herd that beardies can become addicted to them, not completely sure how true that is. What is your intake on that?

I don't think he's addicted to them but a few months back right after he got done with his medicine, if you remember he wasn't eating on his own and we had to give him slurries. Well it was the superworms that got him to eat on his own for the first time. So my dumb butt not knowing any better feed him just supers and nothing else for weeks! Well then he wouldn't eat his dubia's or greens. And Someone on here told me to hold strong and not give in that he will go back to his dubia's and after 2 days he did. So I do think they are sweeter or something. I know today for lunch he had 30 dubia's and 2 supers and looked at me like um… where's the rest woman! Lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also (I know I'm on a roll with all of these questions today lol sorry) will we need to do anything special for the superworms? Like gut load, or refrigerate them?

If you get them at PetSmart they come in a cup with a lid and it's full of their oatmeal food. I leave them in that cuz they eat that. It says do not refrigerate on the container. I have them sitting next to his viv.

If you throw one in Spyra will come running. Video it, it's hilarious especially after she's already had one and knows what they are!

No worries, ask all the questions you want!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't think he's addicted to them but a few months back right after he got done with his medicine, if you remember he wasn't eating on his own and we had to give him slurries. Well it was the superworms that got him to eat on his own for the first time. So my dumb butt not knowing any better feed him just supers and nothing else for weeks! Well then he wouldn't eat his dubia's or greens. And Someone on here told me to hold strong and not give in that he will go back to his dubia's and after 2 days he did. So I do think they are sweeter or something. I know today for lunch he had 30 dubia's and 2 supers and looked at me like um… where's the rest woman! Lol

I joined the forum right after you had that experience with him but I do remember you telling me about his downfall. With that experience you helped us a lot with our girl.
Lol that's funny, sounds like he really likes those supers!!! Spyra is super picky! If you remember we were giving her mango and other fruit everyday before we knew better and once we stopped she started refusing her salad with out it. So I'm thinking about getting a small amount of both maybe? I could stretch her remaining dubias out (only give like 5 at a time) and than give her maybe 3 wax worms and 2 supers. If doesn't sound right or healthy to you please let me know

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you get them at PetSmart they come in a cup with a lid and it's full of their oatmeal food. I leave them in that cuz they eat that. It says do not refrigerate on the container. I have them sitting next to his viv.

If you throw one in Spyra will come running. Video it, it's hilarious especially after she's already had one and knows what they are!

No worries, ask all the questions you want!

Do you have the videos of Wally up? I would love to see him munching down

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I joined the forum right after you had that experience with him but I do remember you telling me about his downfall. With that experience you helped us a lot with our girl.
Lol that's funny, sounds like he really likes those supers!!! Spyra is super picky! If you remember we were giving her mango and other fruit everyday before we knew better and once we stopped she started refusing her salad with out it. So I'm thinking about getting a small amount of both maybe? I could stretch her remaining dubias out (only give like 5 at a time) and than give her maybe 3 wax worms and 2 supers. If doesn't sound right or healthy to you please let me know

I think it sounds great! I know Wally would eat it! Just make sure she gets the 2 hours under the lights before bed cuz of those supers.

That time I just explained to you I found so many undigested super pieces in his poop it freaked me out!

I think you are doing what you have to do in time of need. I personally would rather her have some dubia's and worms than no protein. I commend you for stretching them out.

We are getting like that ourselves. We just ordered more last night but with the weekend probably won't get here till Tuesday or Wednesday. So I'll be doing the same thing as you.

I'll be asking you how things went and how Spyra is doing probably this time tomorrow.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you I really appreciate it!
I knew we would run into an issue sooner or later and well, the time has come lol. I wish I could start a Dubia colony to prevent this problem but unfortunately we have no where to keep a colony :( There is just no room in the house and With fall right around the corner outside isn't an option. And I just can't bare the thought of her begging for food and not getting anything so that isn't an option either.
I went through the same thing with the undigested food in her poo. After you told me she needs to bask for 2 hours after eating we haven't had an issue since. But I will be sure she bask extra long after eating supers :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol omg he really does love them. I've never seen something sprint so fast for meal [emoji23]

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you I really appreciate it!
I knew we would run into an issue sooner or later and well, the time has come lol. I wish I could start a Dubia colony to prevent this problem but unfortunately we have no where to keep a colony :( There is just no room in the house and With fall right around the corner outside isn't an option. And I just can't bare the thought of her begging for food and not getting anything so that isn't an option either.
I went through the same thing with the undigested food in her poo. After you told me she needs to bask for 2 hours after eating we haven't had an issue since. But I will be sure she bask extra long after eating supers :)

When I feed him supers I usually do 2 1/2 hours but that's me being over paranoid. Lol he probably doesn't need the extra 30 mins but oh well.

I agree with you on the colony. As Lacey is eating a ton now and Wally is eating like 100 dubia's a day but he's ready for a bigger size. We don't have the room either but I'm going to have to make room cuz I can't afford this! I just ordered the bigger size so let's see how many he eats now. Fat a$$ Wally! Lol

Latest posts