• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

walnut shell shavings good or bad??

NLC

Hatchling Dragon
What do you guys think about using walnut shell shavings for ur dragons substrate? My beardie Charlee doesn't relief herself regularly and I'm afraid she maybe compacted :( but my other dragon Dee uses the same and goes pretty regularly. Should I seek vet help?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This thread should answer your question ...
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...ed-to-use-particle-substrate.4161/#post-51369

Walnut shell is not an acceptable substrate for BDs.

I just love this quote from a care sheet on another forum, on the subject.
Podunk said:
Crushed walnut shell is dangerous and should only be used to clean up oil spills. This substrate is NOT digestable and if too much of it is eaten it will cause impaction. I have seen this occur first hand with reptiles ranging from lizards to tortoise. Stay away from this product please.

NLC

Hatchling Dragon
:/ people tried to tell me walnut shell was digestable but that link proves otherwise. Thanks a lot! What do you guys use?

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally use newspaper, which seems to be one of the most popular inexpensive ones. Newspapers, tile, paper towel, and repti-carpet seems to be the TOP choices, all the rest have problems usually.. Repti sand and anything smaller then the beardie is usually a no no :(

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have used Strained Children's Washed Play Sand for years for all my Dragons 10+". There are many non-particle substrates available, if a particle substrate is desired, Play Sand is the only one that I would recommend. If your husbandry is right & your BD is kept well hydrated as it should be, there should be no issues & has been my choice for years. It is dusty though. This is not a recommendation, but you asked what we use & this is my choice.

Pat B

Super Moderator
When I 'think' my beardie needs to poop I put him in a warm bath and stroke his tummy. It seems to work every time. Haven't had him poop in the bath....ye... but I am sure the day is coming.

NLC

Hatchling Dragon
Right on guys I really appreciate all the advice. And I only recently been giving her bathes havnt rubbed her belly though. But i mist her every day if not every other. That is her only water source since she quit eating her greens on me. But I've been considering play sand, will definetely take them off the walnnuts though. Thank you Germ. You all are very helpful.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Awesome....I am right on target. This dragon is weird. He will be very dark on his stomach and I will put him in a warm cozy bath. In no time at all his belly is white....gotta love those baths!!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Right on guys I really appreciate all the advice. And I only recently been giving her bathes havnt rubbed her belly though. But i mist her every day if not every other. That is her only water source since she quit eating her greens on me. But I've been considering play sand, will definetely take them off the walnnuts though. Thank you Germ. You all are very helpful.
If she's not drinking her water, don't put her on play sand. She has to be well hydrated.

NLC

Hatchling Dragon
Ur right. Going to put her on newspaper and paper towel for now. I've been pretty worried about her being compacted and her overall health.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts