• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wally has a yellow spot on his tongue!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those are great pictures. The tip of their tongue is a real amazing thing. The line going through it is a split, so it's slightly forked like a snake. I think the tip of their tongue is a bit sticky so that they can grab food better. They also use the tip of their tongue to touch the Jacobson's Organ on the roof of their mouth. This organ helps them figure out if something is safe or not. That's what they are doing when they lick everything.

I did not know that! So then I over reacted like a fool for nothing! I had just never seen a yellow spot before!

Thank you for explaining all of that too me. I just thought they licked to see where they are. I've noticed when I put Wally back into his "room" he will lick his ladder 2-3 times and I just thought he was saying I'm home I'm home this is familiar to me. Boy was I completely wrong!!

We went outside for maybe 20 minutes and he opened up his mouth and let me get super close! But I do have a wonderful model to work with!!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Great pics! How did you get him to hold his mouth posed open like that?

Thank you! We were outside for a few minutes and he opened up and I was able to get real close to him plus I zoomed in on the phone! Great phone with a beautiful model!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great pics! How did you get him to hold his mouth posed open like that?
When they are at a ideal temp they will do what's called gapping it's how they regulate their body temp, you want to get them at that good temp for proper digestion and proper metabolism of vit and minerals.

Latest posts