• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vivarium size??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is more important, height or length?

Thanks ☺️
Both are important height for surface basking temps something to short in height will give issues w/ getting proper temps in the tank like a 16" tall is not good you want 18" or better like 24" - floor space for the dragon -- recommended is a 4x2x2 tank

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For beardies, I think length is more important. While beardies climb up a little bit, the more floor space the better

The Dragonry

Bearded Dragon Egg
They are both important :)

An adult beardie can be 24" long so you want your tank to be at least double their size. They do move around and like to explore and even, climb! Imagine spending the rest of your LIFE in one room of your house. Would you rather have it be your living room or a closet?

It's your job to make it as enriched as possible. That includes places to climb, rest, and bask. You need the height to get the correct distance from the uvb bulb and you need the length to create the correct ambient temps (90's on the hot side and 80's on the cool side with a basking platform of around 100, and a cave to get away from it all) That requires at least a 4x2x2 tank.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think specifying an 8 sq ft surface area (2x4) alongside a 2' vertical space tells you right there which dimension is more important :D

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, so I have upgraded to a 4x2x2 and just wanted to show you to check everything looks good to you. He seems a little peeded off at the moment but has only been 24 hours, his beard does keep going black and puffing but I’m hoping this is temporary.
Let me know if all ok please?
I sometimes wonder if I should have the reflector on the uvb, does it restrict the Viv getting enough light? I do feel it’s quite dark in there.
Thank you in advance, it’s currently 42.6 on the basking spot, (top of the bark log) 25.1 in cool end and 28 ish in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_9843.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9844.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9845.jpeg
    IMG_9845.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9846.jpeg
    IMG_9846.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, so I have upgraded to a 4x2x2 and just wanted to show you to check everything looks good to you. He seems a little peeded off at the moment but has only been 24 hours, his beard does keep going black and puffing but I’m hoping this is temporary.
Let me know if all ok please?
I sometimes wonder if I should have the reflector on the uvb, does it restrict the Viv getting enough light? I do feel it’s quite dark in there.
Thank you in advance, it’s currently 42.6 on the basking spot, (top of the bark log) 25.1 in cool end and 28 ish in the middle.
You should leave the reflector on the UVB fixture - it intensifies the rays and you want this - also I recommend getting the UVB off the back wall - pull it out towards middle of the tank - he needs to be able to sit directly under the UVB 12-15 inches -- the basking bulb looks yellowish -- please get a solid clear bright white bulb like a Flukers basking --- Exo Terra Intense --- Arcadia Halogen bulbs are examples --- the basking bulb should be 6" inches above the basking decor piece and temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100 ---

Latest posts