• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

viv is steaming up

macandham

Bearded Dragon Egg
my viv currently looks like this despite it not yet being at the right temperature. it does not contain my beardie yet but i’m supposed to get him tomorrow and i don’t know if i can if this persists. i’m currently using bio life ( desert, it’s a soil and sand mix ) as a substrate as that’s what the shop gave me in their kit. i can’t check the exact humidity right now as i don’t have a hygrometer but this can’t be right? the basking area is only 30 degrees ( celsius ), which isn’t hot enough yet. can anyone help, or tell me how to stop it? i’ve never had a bearded dragon before so this is a whole new ball game
3C0D4EFE-1B94-49EC-9D02-865FA8912D0F.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my viv currently looks like this despite it not yet being at the right temperature. it does not contain my beardie yet but i’m supposed to get him tomorrow and i don’t know if i can if this persists. i’m currently using bio life ( desert, it’s a soil and sand mix ) as a substrate as that’s what the shop gave me in their kit. i can’t check the exact humidity right now as i don’t have a hygrometer but this can’t be right? the basking area is only 30 degrees ( celsius ), which isn’t hot enough yet. can anyone help, or tell me how to stop it? i’ve never had a bearded dragon before so this is a whole new ball gameView attachment 31133
DO NOT put the dragon in there till you get this fixed ---- is there any air filters ventilation on the tank --- what is in the tank any thing that contains water ? I cant see inside to see what is going on --- the basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 F for a adult/ juvie dragon 105-110 F for a baby -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons you need to get a digital probe hygrometer Zoo Med sells them --- UVB needs to be a 24" long tube fixture like a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 6400 bulb --- you need to get rid of the humidity tho before you get the dragon --- all that humidity will give him a RI -- optimal humidity is 40-50% no lower than 20% and no higher than 70% --- I am going to see about getting more help w/ this I will get back w/ you in the mean time get your lighting in order and we will work on getting the humidity out --

macandham

Bearded Dragon Egg
theres currently no water sources in there - it started steaming up after i put my substrate in so it could be that? my substrate feels dry and it has 2 air vents at the back behind the bulb and 2 on the other side. i’m currently turning it off and letting it cool.
BD9C3810-4D57-4318-AE2B-433FAB723928.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
theres currently no water sources in there - it started steaming up after i put my substrate in so it could be that? my substrate feels dry and it has 2 air vents at the back behind the bulb and 2 on the other side. i’m currently turning it off and letting it cool.View attachment 31134
Its the substrate you dont want it --- please replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- you can use some paper towels for now til you get the substrate replaced -- please get the basking bulb higher it is too close for the dragon I recommend at least 8 inches above the basking decor -- so the only vents is the two I am seeing in the picture -- what about the top is it screen or solid wood? Make sure your watching the temps in the tank you dont want to burn him --- digital probe thermometer --- place on your basking decor piece depending the how old the dragon will depend on the basking temp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its the substrate you dont want it --- please replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- you can use some paper towels for now til you get the substrate replaced -- please get the basking bulb higher it is too close for the dragon I recommend at least 8 inches above the basking decor -- so the only vents is the two I am seeing in the picture -- what about the top is it screen or solid wood? Make sure your watching the temps in the tank you dont want to burn him --- digital probe thermometer --- place on your basking decor piece depending the how old the dragon will depend on the basking temp
Here is what the person I asked help w/ said
Likely the moisture in the substrate evaporating with the warm temps of the enclosure. It might stop doing that after the moisture is gone, but that defeats the purpose of a bioactive substrate which requires a bit of water content to sustain the critters that live in the layers. In this case my first thought would be to increase ventilation somehow. Since it's glass it's not easy to cut out additional vents. Perhaps setting up a computer case fan or similar to act as exhaust to pull some of the moisture up and out while drawing in some dryer air will do. It should certainly be sorted out one way or another before getting a dragon.
Had another look at that enclosure. It looks like a UK style enclosure with a sliding glass front so it's probably wood or melamine. I see two vents on the lower back - adding a computer case fan to that on the outside, blowing out might help.

I also note that the substrate isn't bioactive necessarily, but just a mix that is being used as a loose substrate. The condensation should stop once the moisture has been heated out of it, but it may be better to use something solid if the airflow can't be increased.

I would get rid of it all together --- loose substrate is no good and can harbor bacteria and cause impaction -- it is up to you

macandham

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is what the person I asked help w/ said
Likely the moisture in the substrate evaporating with the warm temps of the enclosure. It might stop doing that after the moisture is gone, but that defeats the purpose of a bioactive substrate which requires a bit of water content to sustain the critters that live in the layers. In this case my first thought would be to increase ventilation somehow. Since it's glass it's not easy to cut out additional vents. Perhaps setting up a computer case fan or similar to act as exhaust to pull some of the moisture up and out while drawing in some dryer air will do. It should certainly be sorted out one way or another before getting a dragon.
Had another look at that enclosure. It looks like a UK style enclosure with a sliding glass front so it's probably wood or melamine. I see two vents on the lower back - adding a computer case fan to that on the outside, blowing out might help.

I also note that the substrate isn't bioactive necessarily, but just a mix that is being used as a loose substrate. The condensation should stop once the moisture has been heated out of it, but it may be better to use something solid if the airflow can't be increased.

I would get rid of it all together --- loose substrate is no good and can harbor bacteria and cause impaction -- it is up to you
it is a uk one, with the top being solid wood. there are 2 more vents higher up on the other side. i’m using what the people at the store used, and it didn’t do this so i’m assuming once it’s less moist it should be alright? i’m thrning it back on now and if it continues, i’m going to place a fan near it. i’m going back to the store anyways today, and i’m gonna ask their opinion too and depending on that, and how it acts today, i may change to a non-loose substrate like you suggested. thank you so much for responding, i honestly was panicking as neither me or my family have had reptiles before so i needed to know wether or not it was safe from someone who knew what was going on!

sci

Bearded Dragon Egg
my viv currently looks like this despite it not yet being at the right temperature. it does not contain my beardie yet but i’m supposed to get him tomorrow and i don’t know if i can if this persists. i’m currently using bio life ( desert, it’s a soil and sand mix ) as a substrate as that’s what the shop gave me in their kit. i can’t check the exact humidity right now as i don’t have a hygrometer but this can’t be right? the basking area is only 30 degrees ( celsius ), which isn’t hot enough yet. can anyone help, or tell me how to stop it? i’ve never had a bearded dragon before so this is a whole new ball gameView attachment 31133
woah thats a lot of humidity

by any chance is the soil-sand mixture washed with water and immediately placed in the viv without drying? i had experience with that when a petstore gave me cocopeat as substrate when i started out for the first time (not a good idea when the humidity spiked up!)

just like sadie recommended, its best to remove all the substrate, remove the water bowls , dont put plants in it and let that viv dry out, try some paper towels or newspaper for awhile to see if its fixed. also try putting a dehumidifier there aswell to help the fasten the drying of the viv

macandham

Bearded Dragon Egg
woah thats a lot of humidity

by any chance is the soil-sand mixture washed with water and immediately placed in the viv without drying? i had experience with that when a petstore gave me cocopeat as substrate when i started out for the first time (not a good idea when the humidity spiked up!)

just like sadie recommended, its best to remove all the substrate, remove the water bowls , dont put plants in it and let that viv dry out, try some paper towels or newspaper for awhile to see if its fixed. also try putting a dehumidifier there aswell to help the fasten the drying of the viv
the substrate was slightly damp when i got it - but i left it to air for a bit. currently, it seems to be fine, but i’m going to monitor it throughout the day and place paper towels instead if it does this. thank you for responding!

Reactions: sci

macandham

Bearded Dragon Egg
update!
the humidity has decreased drastically - i can actually see in now lol! the temps are also right so i should hopefully be able to take zog home later! it’s been on for around 5 hours now, and the night temps are also fine! thanks for everyone to responding, it really saved me from panicking!

Reactions: sci

Latest posts