• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very Very Conflicted and don't know what to do!

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I have a 16 month old Yorkie and me and my Wife love her but here is the problem. She does not want to poop outside when we take her out. She poops on her own accord. And for the last 2 weeks, it's been in her cage. Then she eats it not to get in trouble (which is gross but hang with me), and then gets sick and throws up in the cage/kennel. I have bad PTSD and it may seem weird but throw up and poop takes me to a very bad place where I was at in War in Afghanistan. So, I get upset and sick when she does that. My Wife gets upset because she usually has to clean her up, I can't physical or mentally do it. BD Poop, that's ok... I spray vinegar/water on BD Poop and no more stench. Dog poop, another story and there is so much and she has so much hair.

Given the situation, I want to give her to someone who is more patient and can work with her. I don't know how to break her of this because she does not care to let me know when she needs to go outside. And she is house broken, just being stubborn. She was extremely hard to house train and we were good for about 4 months. Nothing has changed in our environment and when she is not in trouble, she is always happy, spinning around and wagging her tail. Oh, and she is not fixed.

I have no problems with my 2 yr old Chihuahua. He is quiet, respectful, obeys and follows all commands that he knows. I really want to sell my Yorkie because I can not handle her. Last time I cleaned up her and her mess (this morning) I had to wear my Army Gas Mask with filter to stop my gagging and flashbacks. LOL, the funny part is she knew she was in trouble and I really scared her when cleaning her by just wearing the mask. I never spank or hit my dogs. I punish them with kennel timeouts and I scold them with a harsh tone. When they do good, I reward them with praise, petting and treats. This is why I don't understand what to do. I have tried everything, even limit her sleeping space to avoid her to defecate in her kennel, sometimes it works. I allow her PLENTY of time when outside. Since we have no fence and they are indoor dogs, I watch them when we go outside. Any help please or I'm going to settle for selling my dog for $100 (non-papered).

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, some small energetic dogs need a lot of exercise. Something to consider... If the dog is just being what you think is stubborn. I can about place a bet if you jog with her or even take her for a 15 minute speed walk. This would cure itself on its own. I have a papillion that i thought was stubborn. We did everything imaginable to house break this dog. Never in a million years did i think this little dog could jog with me but she can do it with ease. We run daily about 3 miles and since we have not cleaned one accident.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I took your advise and the advise of what someone I met at Pet-co said (customer/ Yorkie owner). She said only feed them in the AM and only allow water until 5-6pm. This particular breed has to go "potty" at least 2 times an hour. So, I now have alarms set to get her thought process on track too. She doesn't always have to go, but she knows she has no excuse now for going potty inside at all. They are smart dogs, but some common sense things just don't compute with them and that's where they get their stubbornness from.

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am the owner of two Yorkies. One Male 9 y.o no problems. My Female has been more difficult. She at first used to pee when new people came in the home, but she out grew it. She is now 4. I feed all my dogs 2 times a day and right after I take them for a long walk. I suggest having your dog relate eating/drinking with going outside to make and actually tell her go make outside! How much does she weigh? And what are you feeding her? Is food and water in crate? Is the exercise helping? Please let me know

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
She is 16 months old and can only eat Puppy Chow Complete due to her sensitive stomach. We tried others and she gets sick. It's not a potty training issue. More of a dissipline problem then turns into a bigger accident when she realizes she better get rid of the poop....

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would highly recommend talking to your vet or someone at the Pet Store about a better dog food. What you are feeding is too high in fat and should not be given after age 1. I would start to slowly put the food your giving her now with a new food so her stomach doesn't get upset. I have started using a grain-free dog food without chicken. Chicken is an ingredient most dogs are allergic to. That may be why she is going to the bathroom when she not supposed to. It may take her longer for it to upset her and then she makes inside. I also put some warm water on the food to make a gravy to in courage her eating when you want her to. What your giving her now is like McDonalds:( try new food , behavior training and if your neighbors think your Nuts oh Well they don't have to clean it in there house. Tell her make outside every time! When she does praise her. Let me know how it works out

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
My dog is not unhealthy and is very energetic so I'm sure she burns it off. Plus she is not having loose BMs. She is VERY healthy. I tried high dollar organic even dog foods and she does not take to them well when winging them like you said. This is not the issue. The issue was her pooping in kennel at night during my sleeping time and then eats it real quick to cover her butt. But then gets sick. I'm not changing her food because then I for sure will clean up poop 2-4 times a day for weeks. Plus her Vet said not too. Every dog is different but can tell this will be a trial and error thing for me

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
She doesn't have a problem eating any dog food either. She would eat food without gravy too. Which I'm thankful for. Definitely allergic to chicken. Why they sell chicken jerky for dogs I have no idea....

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
This will guarantee work:
Like others have said, make sure you are feeding a good quality dog food. Rule of thumb is, if you can buy it in a supermarket, it's not great quality. With one exception being Purina Pro Health.
Second, check her fecal at the vet for any parasites which could cause diarrhea.
Third, there are supplements you can feed a dog to make their poop taste gross to them, which will at least prevent her from eating it. You can find this at Petco or most other chain or specialty pet shops.
Fourth, take her out every two to three hours when you are home, and stick to a strict feeding schedule - same time each morning and night, and take her out immediately after each meal. If she doesn't go poop, crate her and take her back out every half hour until she does.
Fifth, never scold her for pooping in the house after she has already done so. Dogs don't understand why you are yelling at this point, and their anxiety in this situation can just make the problem worse.
Lastly, if she poops in her crate it is likely too big. A crate should be just large enough for a dog to turn in a circle and comfortably lie down.

I was a vet technician for 6 years and an amateur dog behaviorist. :) I'm always willing to help!

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
I would highly recommend talking to your vet or someone at the Pet Store about a better dog food.

This could be interfering with the pooping frequency and loose consistency.
Puppy food has a higher protein content which is not needed at her age.

Any abrupt change in food will cause problems too so you may be best to gradually switch her to a healthy adult formula.
Feed 25% new food, 75% old food for 3 days. Then 50/50. Then 75/25, then you are on the the new food :)

Latest posts