• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cfourn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, I’m pretty new to this site but I wanted to post here since I’m out of town and my vet hasn’t replied to my email. My beardie Archie (rescue, don’t know how old) has been pretty lethargic for a week or two and refusing to eat veggies, though he would eat crickets if I hand fed them. I have a friend watching him while I’m out of town and my friend said Archie was suddenly very active before pooping out something rather strange, and also HUGE. I’ll attach an image below, so don’t look if you’re squeamish. If anyone has any idea what this might be or if something is wrong, please help! My friend said he is acting normal now and eating food normally again but I’m worried he may have had a worm or something like that.
9B2A9364-CF98-4922-ABED-B57DCFE76287.jpeg
64A56005-2543-4357-BAF0-89F8945A98F6.jpeg

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yes, please do get a fecal test. Funky poops and lethargy and signs of parasites. He likely got it from a feeder animal, going outside, or coming into contact with another animal.

cfourn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, please do get a fecal test. Funky poops and lethargy and signs of parasites. He likely got it from a feeder animal, going outside, or coming into contact with another animal.
I haven't fed him anything weird or done any of those things. Could it have come from feeding him vegetables that may have been old? Also I won't be home for a few more days. My friend already got rid of the poop because I thought I shouldn't let it sit. Should I wait until there's another one before calling my vet?

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
I haven't fed him anything weird or done any of those things. Could it have come from feeding him vegetables that may have been old? Also I won't be home for a few more days. My friend already got rid of the poop because I thought I shouldn't let it sit. Should I wait until there's another one before calling my vet?
yea and if you feed it crickets crickets are the number one feeder for transmitting parasites

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
i'd wait till he poops again then call the vet get the sample in a bowl or something and bring it to the vet

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
are the yellow things in the white part moving?

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
No, nothing was moving
okay that's good it means the worms are coming out dead my bearded dragon had worms before it's recommended to go to the vet and get them dewormed every now and again crickets are the main cause to parasites like i said above and to stop the worms you have to get a more healthier alternative to crickets which are dubia roaches now i still have my bearded dragon on crickets cause they are cheap but if you have the money for dubias you should look into them they are a lot more than crickets like 87 cents for just one so the 20 that you need to feed your beardie it adds up quickly

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Dubia roaches are pretty much free when you start up a breeding colony, since they are very easy to breed. If you can't get dubias in your area, there may be good alternatives to mix in with crickets from time to time. Make sure to get crickets from top quality vendors.

cfourn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubia roaches are pretty much free when you start up a breeding colony, since they are very easy to breed. If you can't get dubias in your area, there may be good alternatives to mix in with crickets from time to time. Make sure to get crickets from top quality vendors.
I can't keep anything live in a colony because I live in an old apartment and that's one of the rules. If I feed live crickets I have to get them that same day from the pet store. Is there anything I can use to supplement?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I can't keep anything live in a colony because I live in an old apartment and that's one of the rules. If I feed live crickets I have to get them that same day from the pet store. Is there anything I can use to supplement?
You would have to choose something that isn't expensive to buy over and over again, so cross hornworms and dubias off the list. You can get black soldier fly larvae freeze-dried and give a little each day, or you could buy a large package of dubias, gutload them, and then freeze them so you have nutritious frozen ones on hand. Some insects also come in cans.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The poop looks dried out --and the urate looks like alot of supplements in it what are you supplementing? Usually parasites / worms cause the dragon not to eat and the poop is really runny - and smells real bad - like it will drive you from the room -have you been feeding anything red like red peppers strawberries? That would cause the red in the poop

Live insects are the best -- freeze dried canned or jarred are not very nutritional and they dry your dragon out- I would get some BSFL live ones from here www.symptonbsf.com - he would probably eat about 50 of them at a time since they are small so I would order large if hes an adult dragon I would also get some silk worms from there
www.reptilianarts,.com they come in cups w/ food - they are a great staple feeder you can also get them from here www.coastalsilkworms.com they have the east coast and west coast suppliers - you can also get insects / worms from here they have a bundle pack www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/
Make sure your feeding salads every day - http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
What substrate are you using?

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there!
Sounds to me like he was impacted. When was his last poop? And those white things in his poop appear to me that they are actually sperm plugs I have had my own pass them with his poop.
Your substrate is sand by the looks of it. Sand or any substrate causes them to get impacted very easily so I would do shelf liner instead it’s what I use with my beardies. Good luck!
Kelly

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi there!
Sounds to me like he was impacted. When was his last poop? And those white things in his poop appear to me that they are actually sperm plugs I have had my own pass them with his poop.
Your substrate is sand by the looks of it. Sand or any substrate causes them to get impacted very easily so I would do shelf liner instead it’s what I use with my beardies. Good luck!
Kelly
Ugh, I despise sperm plugs/glands cleanings/clogged pores... I always own male pets so I have to deal with them way too often.

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Really mail order dubias r very affordable. I get 400-500 at a time for about $50. I keep them in a plastic bug case. U can keep them in a Homer bucket from Home Depot. Don’t add air holes in the bucket that way if ur apartment sprays they should be safe. It also camouflages ur bugs. I throw in orange slices and the same salad mix I feed my dragon. It’s working out well. Feed ur supplements to the roaches then feed them to Archie. Their healthier and cleaner then crickets. Easier to digest.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Really mail order dubias r very affordable. I get 400-500 at a time for about $50. I keep them in a plastic bug case. U can keep them in a Homer bucket from Home Depot. Don’t add air holes in the bucket that way if ur apartment sprays they should be safe. It also camouflages ur bugs. I throw in orange slices and the same salad mix I feed my dragon. It’s working out well. Feed ur supplements to the roaches then feed them to Archie. Their healthier and cleaner then crickets. Easier to digest.
A 10 gallon aquarium or tote works well too

Dawn1958

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubias are expensive that’s why I started breeding them. It’s really not hard at all and my beardie & crested Gecko love them. I started with crickets but to be blunt...they stink!

Latest posts