• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very angry little ladies!

CWI GUY

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, all
My name is Shane and I am new to the forum. Recently, I have encountered a huge change in attitude from my two juvenile females. As babies they were cohabbed together for around 8 months without issue. About a month ago, Puff my gray dragon, decided she didn't want a roommate anymore and started attacking Spyro, my red dragon, constantly. I bought another tank and duplicated the setup. Now both lizards are constantly agitated with big black beards and always head bobbing, at everything! I thought they would be happier with more space but it seems to have had an opposite affect. I've tried a few things like blocking their view of each other and adding someplace to hide with no improvement of attitude. When I take them out individually and give them free roam, they seem to calm down. As soon as they go back into the tank it is instant attitude. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, all
My name is Shane and I am new to the forum. Recently, I have encountered a huge change in attitude from my two juvenile females. As babies they were cohabbed together for around 8 months without issue. About a month ago, Puff my gray dragon, decided she didn't want a roommate anymore and started attacking Spyro, my red dragon, constantly. I bought another tank and duplicated the setup. Now both lizards are constantly agitated with big black beards and always head bobbing, at everything! I thought they would be happier with more space but it seems to have had an opposite affect. I've tried a few things like blocking their view of each other and adding someplace to hide with no improvement of attitude. When I take them out individually and give them free roam, they seem to calm down. As soon as they go back into the tank it is instant attitude. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance...
Welcome to the forum shane

Dragons are never to be kept together -- they are territorial and one will dominate the other one- please go over the surface basking temps and uvb coil or long tube fixture - temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-and coils are a hazard to their health-- once lighting has been gone over then we can move onto other things that would cause the behavior your getting -- you may haft to move one of them out of the room- your sure they are both female?

CWI GUY

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum shane

Dragons are never to be kept together -- they are territorial and one will dominate the other one- please go over the surface basking temps and uvb coil or long tube fixture - temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-and coils are a hazard to their health-- once lighting has been gone over then we can move onto other things that would cause the behavior your getting -- you may haft to move one of them out of the room- your sure they are both female?
In the beginning I read that females can be together if they aren't aggressive towards each other. Males never together. Apparently that was bad info. I have read a lot of post in the forum and need to replace my coils with linear bulbs. Doing that this weekend. Heat lights are the white bulbs (80w) with a little bit of orange/yellow tint. Thinking I need to replace these with white. Basking temps checked with digital probe stays at around 90 to 95 now. Was around 100 when they were babies. I have one in each window so each one gets 6 or so hours of natural sunlight in the whole tank. Their cool side sits around 70 to 80 depending on the time of day. They both have a single bump going from hip to hip at the base of their tails. I believe they are both female. No dual bumps going along the tail sides. I travel for a living so they are in my rv. Putting one in another room isn't an option, but I can at least block the view of each other. I've tried this for a couple days and no difference. However, if this line of sight is causing the aggression I can definitely come up with a permanent solution. At the moment they are in 20 gallon starter tanks and will be getting the custom enclosures within the next month. I have to build them to fit the area. I wish the pet store I bought them at was more knowledgeable or I did more research first and I would have only bought one. Went in looking for a docile traveling buddy and thought they could keep each other company while I was working. I love them both though!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the beginning I read that females can be together if they aren't aggressive towards each other. Males never together. Apparently that was bad info. I have read a lot of post in the forum and need to replace my coils with linear bulbs. Doing that this weekend. Heat lights are the white bulbs (80w) with a little bit of orange/yellow tint. Thinking I need to replace these with white. Basking temps checked with digital probe stays at around 90 to 95 now. Was around 100 when they were babies. I have one in each window so each one gets 6 or so hours of natural sunlight in the whole tank. Their cool side sits around 70 to 80 depending on the time of day. They both have a single bump going from hip to hip at the base of their tails. I believe they are both female. No dual bumps going along the tail sides. I travel for a living so they are in my rv. Putting one in another room isn't an option, but I can at least block the view of each other. I've tried this for a couple days and no difference. However, if this line of sight is causing the aggression I can definitely come up with a permanent solution. At the moment they are in 20 gallon starter tanks and will be getting the custom enclosures within the next month. I have to build them to fit the area. I wish the pet store I bought them at was more knowledgeable or I did more research first and I would have only bought one. Went in looking for a docile traveling buddy and thought they could keep each other company while I was working. I love them both though!
Not all uvb's are good ones- depending on the size of the tanks your going to will determine bulbs you need- windows are good for viewing not for uvb the glass filters uvb rays-- a 4x2x2 is recommended for full size dragons- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- no off white no yellowish no daytime bulbs and no colored at all- flukers basking exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogens -- two digital probe thermometers - 80ish cool side during the day 65-75 night time temps-

CWI GUY

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not all uvb's are good ones- depending on the size of the tanks your going to will determine bulbs you need- windows are good for viewing not for uvb the glass filters uvb rays-- a 4x2x2 is recommended for full size dragons- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- no off white no yellowish no daytime bulbs and no colored at all- flukers basking exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogens -- two digital probe thermometers - 80ish cool side during the day 65-75 night time temps-
Thank you. I am going shopping this weekend for lighting. Going to start the enclosure build next week. Looking at around 4' deep, 6' long, and 2.5' tall. Should be big enough where I don't have to build another one later. I bought the reptile starter kits for both and now realize everything about them is wrong. At least for beardies...No worries, all will be addressed and hopefully my ladies will be happy again! Thanks again, I will send update photos as the habitats progress.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. I am going shopping this weekend for lighting. Going to start the enclosure build next week. Looking at around 4' deep, 6' long, and 2.5' tall. Should be big enough where I don't have to build another one later. I bought the reptile starter kits for both and now realize everything about them is wrong. At least for beardies...No worries, all will be addressed and hopefully my ladies will be happy again! Thanks again, I will send update photos as the habitats progress.
Make sure your getting good UVB's these are crucial ---- you want either a Zoo Med -- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt -- or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb ---

CWI GUY

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure your getting good UVB's these are crucial ---- you want either a Zoo Med -- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt -- or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb ---
OK, thank you for the specifics. I will definitely hunt these down!!! Thanks again!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can these be found at your average pet depot or only online? If they are not commonly stocked in stores, then yes, I would love the links!
Every pet store is different - PetSmart carries the Arcadia pro T 5

CWI GUY

Bearded Dragon Egg
She's happy for a bit!
1000007357.jpg

Latest posts