• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very angry dragon

Ender.dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had Ender for 2 months now I’m assuming it’s around 3-4 months old due to the store saying it was a month or so old when I got it. Anyways he/she has always been skittish of me but not aggressive but for the last 3 weeks I’d say he/she has been very aggressive! I open the tank to feed and just talking to it will make it hiss at me if I put my hand in to get the food bowl it lunges at me... trying to get it out of the tank is a 10 minute task between running and biting at me.. any ideas on what could be provoking this behavior? I have noticed a big increase in appetite. Just a little worried! Most recent picture below.
E95A77B5-18BC-4800-82C8-F5FE019448C2.jpeg

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
This is weird to me considering bearded dragons are social and friendly lizards.

Will he eat from your hand? From a bowl that you are holding? Try gaining his trust. I'd say it is due to relocation stress but as you said, it has been two months.

Also refrain from buying reptiles from local pet stores as they tend to have things wrong with them down the road. I recommend a local reptile shop, breeder, or expo. Google one near you I bet there is one closer than you think!

Ender.dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is weird to me considering bearded dragons are social and friendly lizards.

Will he eat from your hand? From a bowl that you are holding? Try gaining his trust. I'd say it is due to relocation stress but as you said, it has been two months.

Also refrain from buying reptiles from local pet stores as they tend to have things wrong with them down the road. I recommend a local reptile shop, breeder, or expo. Google one near you I bet there is one closer than you think!
Yeah he will snatch food out of my hand. I just made him come out of his tank. He was hissing and running from me but never actually bit. Once out he tried to run away a few times then fell asleep on my neck lol so idk I feel like he was less wild when I brought him home initially.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have had Ender for 2 months now I’m assuming it’s around 3-4 months old due to the store saying it was a month or so old when I got it. Anyways he/she has always been skittish of me but not aggressive but for the last 3 weeks I’d say he/she has been very aggressive! I open the tank to feed and just talking to it will make it hiss at me if I put my hand in to get the food bowl it lunges at me... trying to get it out of the tank is a 10 minute task between running and biting at me.. any ideas on what could be provoking this behavior? I have noticed a big increase in appetite. Just a little worried! Most recent picture below.View attachment 24441
Some dragons are like that mine was the same way -- hissing biting running -- took me months to get him tamed down but constant hands in the tank and hand feeding BSFL or small super worms help him get used to me -- every morning the same routine -- he got to where he would sit on the bottom of his log and wait for me to come w/ the food - a constant routine will help him learn and know what to expect -- I only held him outside his tank for a few minutes at a time --- I even had to wear a glove at first for a while he got so bad but I continued to work w/ him so he would learn to trust that is a big thing -- patience is another --- put a piece of cloth or clothing or a fleece blanket w/ your smell on it in his hide it will help him get to know you -- approach from the side never from above he will think your a predator - they have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Yeah he will snatch food out of my hand. I just made him come out of his tank. He was hissing and running from me but never actually bit. Once out he tried to run away a few times then fell asleep on my neck lol so idk I feel like he was less wild when I brought him home initially.
Don't chase him it will make him more scared!

It's good he hasn't tried to bite you, they usually won't. Just continue hand feeding him. Try holding the insect far up your arm so that he has to crawl on you in order to get it. It will make him realize you are not a threat and you are a food source.

Also, try putting something like a small blanket or cloth inside of his tank that has your scent on it, it will get them use to it and often make them calmer when you approach them and they recognize the smell.

If all else doesn't work let me know i'll give you more tips!

Ender.dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some dragons are like that mine was the same way -- hissing biting running -- took me months to get him tamed down but constant hands in the tank and hand feeding BSFL or small super worms help him get used to me -- every morning the same routine -- he got to where he would sit on the bottom of his log and wait for me to come w/ the food - a constant routine will help him learn and know what to expect -- I only held him outside his tank for a few minutes at a time --- I even had to wear a glove at first for a while he got so bad but I continued to work w/ him so he would learn to trust that is a big thing -- patience is another --- put a piece of cloth or clothing or a fleece blanket w/ your smell on it in his hide it will help him get to know you -- approach from the side never from above he will think your a predator - they have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators
Thanks for your feedback! I think he may just be a grumpy little thing a needs a lot of time/patience.

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
I have had Ender for 2 months now I’m assuming it’s around 3-4 months old due to the store saying it was a month or so old when I got it. Anyways he/she has always been skittish of me but not aggressive but for the last 3 weeks I’d say he/she has been very aggressive! I open the tank to feed and just talking to it will make it hiss at me if I put my hand in to get the food bowl it lunges at me... trying to get it out of the tank is a 10 minute task between running and biting at me.. any ideas on what could be provoking this behavior? I have noticed a big increase in appetite. Just a little worried! Most recent picture below.View attachment 24441
Ur Dragons still a young pup, and he may take some time to adjust to his new environment, and this lumbering Grant that terrified me, ha ha.
I've had the exact same experience with my buddy Ely. And it was a persistent problem. But I promised him that he will have to get used to it. As everyday Im handling you.(Always be calm and talk nice to your Dragon. Even if he's having a hiss fit. Ha ha. Good old Ely. He was 2yrs old when I got him. Ely was persistent and it took nearly 8 monts to tame him. I never scolded him. Started with 5 minutes a day, and increased this to twice a day for 5min, slow at first, then extending the time to 30 minutes per day, then 30 minutes twice a day.
Ha ha now he practically begs me to take him out, regularly glass surfing and bobbing his head frantically when he sees me.
All Dragons are unique and are different in temperament. Like his son I kept since out the egg, For this reason, or maybe character, he's never been a problem. But his Mother always tries to escape. But again is used to me and no longer tries to bite me. I can hand feed them all now.
He us a real jet of a buddy now. He will sit still on my arm now and lucks me!
Please have patience with him and soon enough, he will love u.

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Ur Dragons still a young pup, and he may take some time to adjust to his new environment, and this lumbering Grant that terrified me, ha ha.
I've had the exact same experience with my buddy Ely. And it was a persistent problem. But I promised him that he will have to get used to it. As everyday Im handling you.(Always be calm and talk nice to your Dragon. Even if he's having a hiss fit. Ha ha. Good old Ely. He was 2yrs old when I got him. Ely was persistent and it took nearly 8 monts to tame him. I never scolded him. Started with 5 minutes a day, and increased this to twice a day for 5min, slow at first, then extending the time to 30 minutes per day, then 30 minutes twice a day.
Ha ha now he practically begs me to take him out, regularly glass surfing and bobbing his head frantically when he sees me.
All Dragons are unique and are different in temperament. Like his son I kept since out the egg, For this reason, or maybe character, he's never been a problem. But his Mother always tries to escape. But again is used to me and no longer tries to bite me. I can hand feed them all now

Ender.dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
All Dragons are unique and are different in temperament. Like his son I kept since out the egg, For this reason, or maybe character, he's never been a problem. But his Mother always tries to escape. But again is used to me and no longer tries to bite me. I can hand feed them all now.
Awww good to hear! I figured he was still just figuring things out but for piece of mind wanted to ask.

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Awww good to hear! I figured he was still just figuring things out but for piece of mind wanted to ask.
Betcha he's going to be an excellent companion. Just takes time. Eventually he will become attached to you. I would be very surprised if he doesn't.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I love his name! And that picture is adorable :)

Just keep being gentle and firm with him, and he'll begin to appreciate all the love an attention.

Latest posts