• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vertical Hammock

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Does anyone use their reptile hammock in a vertical position for their bearded dragon to use as a ladder?

I have 2 hammocks - one for lying in (which he uses quite a bit) and I just added a second in a vertical position, in hopes that my beardie will use it to climb to an elevated platform. It's been up for 2 days but he hasn't attempted to climb it yet. I don't know if it is because it is something new and he is still getting used to it, or if he is discouraged, or maybe he just doesn't notice it because it is flush against the wall. Is it harder for them to utilize it in this position? If I hold him and move him toward the hammock, he will grab it and climb up - I just haven't seen him do this on his own yet.

This is by no means preventing him from eating or basking or anything, it was strictly a recreational concept.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The babies will use them as ladders, less so as they get older. They have a REALLY hard time getting down with a ladder like that though, and should be provided a safe way of jumping off of the platform.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When I placed him on the platform, he was able to jump off onto a lower rock, no problem.
Drogo is not full grown but he's about 11 inches long. I was hoping the climbing would provide a little exercise as well.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll abort the ladder concept and go with something more practical.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Does anyone use their reptile hammock in a vertical position for their bearded dragon to use as a ladder?

I have 2 hammocks - one for lying in (which he uses quite a bit) and I just added a second in a vertical position, in hopes that my beardie will use it to climb to an elevated platform. It's been up for 2 days but he hasn't attempted to climb it yet. I don't know if it is because it is something new and he is still getting used to it, or if he is discouraged, or maybe he just doesn't notice it because it is flush against the wall. Is it harder for them to utilize it in this position? If I hold him and move him toward the hammock, he will grab it and climb up - I just haven't seen him do this on his own yet.

This is by no means preventing him from eating or basking or anything, it was strictly a recreational concept.
I haven't gotten a hammock yet but have been thinking about it. You convinced me. And I like the picture of your dragon....nice.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
When I placed him on the platform, he was able to jump off onto a lower rock, no problem.
Drogo is not full grown but he's about 11 inches long. I was hoping the climbing would provide a little exercise as well.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll abort the ladder concept and go with something more practical.
You may find he'll start using it more and more in time.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
make a big one out of fish net or something...some sturdy and pin it down on the other-side of the tank keeping tension. Then even as an adults they might feel inclined to climb it more..

Latest posts