• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB question

David

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello all this is my first post in years.

I am currently preparing to get a new beardie. I am building an enclosure that will be 48"x24"x20".
I am concerned about the uvb. I am not sure if I should use a mercury style like a power sun or should I use a fluorescent tube. Any opinions on which is better or worse? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx david

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello Dave & welcome 2 the forum. I haven't used any of the Mercury Vapor bulbs, I've considered them but I'm happy with the results from the Reptisun 10.0 by ZooMed. A friend of mine uses MVB's for his torts but not his dragons. I've read mixed reviews on them so I'm still a little hesitant on switching 2 them, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi David

Recently (the last 1-2 Years) there ahve been a lot of issues with MVB bulbs and Beardies. Most of the manufacturers have changed the way the Glass is produced for the bulbs, which has casued a change in the UVB wave length. This change has put the UVB into a differnet frequency which is either usless for Dragons or harmfull for Dragons. Some of the other reptiles have had no negative effects from the changes as they are not Desert Animals. Now there have been some batches of MVB bulbs from some of the better manufacturers that have been ok but unless you have UV meter you will not know until you either see no chnage or negative change in your dragon.

Most of us "Beardy Slaves" have switched back to Linear Tube bulbs, mainly the Reptisun 10.0 in north America and the Arcadia in Europe, but please do not use the Coil (CFL) UV bulbs.

Hope this helps

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ive always used mvb's with no ill affects, however fliehigh is right about the problems thet've had recently. i just switched from mega ray to exoterra solar glo for that reason.(actually about six months ago) and have'nt had any problems. a friend of mine is a breeder and has a meter and so far these lights have been fine. if you are not comfortable using mvb's then linears are always a good choice.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I can only just basically agree with what has been said so ar. Some ppl have issues with the MVB bulbs, and some dont. My enclosure gets real hot so a MVB would fry my dragon unfortunately. I use either the repti Sun 10.0 or the Repti Zoo 10.0 linear tube. Make sure it spans at least 1/2 the tank and preferably 3/4 of it. They do need a wee spot to "get out f the sun" so to say

Latest posts