• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB placement confusion

RachelV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello all, I am so confused about where to put the UVB light fixture in our tank. It seems like there is so much contradictory info out there. I am second guessing how I should have it. We have a standard 40 gallon tank with a screened top. I just got the Reptisun T5 HO 24” hood. Do I leave it on top of the mesh or mount it inside? And depending on where it should be placed, should I use the 5.0 or 10.0 bulb? Our Beardie loves hanging out on her hammock, so I need to be sure she is far enough away from the UVB. I usually read it should be 8” away from where she lays, is this correct? Any clarification is appreciated. Here is a photo of the set up. TIA!
972E9AB0-08B9-4316-A91A-5848EDBFCFA4.jpeg

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yup the T5 should be 6-8 inches away, if you ever get a T8 that one can be 12-15 inches away. you should get a 10.0 bulb, the 5.0 does not produce enough UVB for them. The holes in the mesh are a little too small for the proper amount of UVB to get through so you should mount it on the inside of the tank. I used large zip ties to do it and they hold very well. Can I ask how old your beardie is?

RachelV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yup the T5 should be 6-8 inches away, if you ever get a T8 that one can be 12-15 inches away. you should get a 10.0 bulb, the 5.0 does not produce enough UVB for them. The holes in the mesh are a little too small for the proper amount of UVB to get through so you should mount it on the inside of the tank. I used large zip ties to do it and they hold very well. Can I ask how old your beardie is?
Thanks for the response. She is 1 years old. With the 10.0 bulb does the distance need to be farther than 8”?

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It’s the other way around.. T5 is stronger than T8

:)

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
for what the placement? for the beardie to get the most efficient emount it has to be around 6-8 inches
From what I know - T5’s are higher output than T8’s. T8’s should be inside the vivarium around 8” from the beardie. T5’s approx 12-15” away from the beardie (without screen blockage - I presume screen blockage would mean they should be a little closer). And yes, the 10.0 is deffo, the 5.0 is not sufficient - x

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
From what I know - T5’s are higher output than T8’s. T8’s should be inside the vivarium around 8” from the beardie. T5’s approx 12-15” away from the beardie (without screen blockage - I presume screen blockage would mean they should be a little closer). And yes, the 10.0 is deffo, the 5.0 is not sufficient -
oh dear lord me and my dyslexia, I think I just confused myself, so sorry if I confused you more, I suggest to just ignore my comment and hopefully someone with brains can help you out. so sorry again.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
oh dear lord me and my dyslexia, I think I just confused myself, so sorry if I confused you more, I suggest to just ignore my comment and hopefully someone with brains can help you out. so sorry again.
There’s no need to apologise - it gets confusing! I used to kinda assume a T8 would be stronger just because it was a higher number, lol but it’s just the mm of the tube thickness I believe. T5’s are generally better than T8’s so for someone without one or purchasing new a T5 is preferred :)

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
There’s no need to apologise - it gets confusing! I used to kinda assume a T8 would be stronger just because it was a higher number, lol but it’s just the mm of the tube thickness I believe. T5’s are generally better than T8’s so for someone without one or purchasing new a T5 is preferred :)
..... well excuse me then I have to go raise my beardies UVB a couple inches, no wonder they haven't been a fan of basking recently, lol

Latest posts