• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uvb light

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi I have scarlett uvb light glued into her tank last week it fell so I hot glued it back now it fell off again so now I have to figure out another way

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Just put it back up with this hope it works

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367090521032.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367090521032.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 66

Pat B

Super Moderator
Make sure the glass is very very clean and your fixture....could be residue from the old glue isn't holding the new glue....good luck!

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
do you have a screen top? try using Zip ties . look to see if your light has installation tabs on the side to help you hang it safely. would hate for it to hurt her or eat a piece of glue and get sick! I had a ledge fall off once and my old guy lost his foot. Its really cruddy feeling.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I put it back up with command and it hasnt fell since. Yes I have a screen top

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I've had Mungi's UV fixture mounted with hot glue inside the enclosure to the glass for over a year and have never had any issues.
What I do is to make sure the glass is very clean and then apply a thick line of hot glue to each side that is going to contact the glass. Have to work kinda fast so that the hot glue does not cool.
Then I push and hold the fixture firmly attaching it to the back glass and the side glass for about 45 secs to a minute.
Once it is mounted then I go back with the hot glue gun and run a good line of the glue along all edges where the fixture meets the glass like you would when caulking a window or tub.
It takes a good deal of glue but as I said have not had any issue with the fixture coming loose at all or of the glue melting and being in line with the basking bulb it is in the hottest area of the tank.
I will say that it may have to do with the glue gun or glue sticks you are using. I use a heavy duty hi temp glue gun that I got Lowes and not a mini glue stick crafter's glue gun.
There is a definite difference. I found this out when I first started modifying aquarium tanks to use as vertical enclosures with hinged acrylic doors. The mini low temp glue doesn't perform as well as the hi temp does.
If you decide to try with the hi temp glue and glue gun just be careful because they can cause some serious burns...My fingers and hands will testify to that:eek: LOL:)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good call on the type of gun used :) , I never even contemplated people using those tiny craft guns to do this. I have had mine mounted for just about a decade in one tank & it is still holding as strong as the day I mounted it. I mount mine very similarly to Brett & they have never released. I have had the plastic break &\or crack before the glue would let go. Be sure the top edge has a good bead on it & it will not come down.

One difference though, I have always mounted mine at the front so the fixture blocks the bulb from shining in my eyes ;).

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I mount mine on the back mainly because the Zilla Critter Cages like Mungi's have that sliding rail top and the cut outs for the cord to go thru are along the back rail. Otherwise front mounted the light cord would have to be taped and run around to the back and out in order to still be able to secure the lid.
I'm not partial to the ole UV in the eyes thing myself but I divert most of that down with the aluminum foil anyway:)

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
I've had the same issue with the hot glue giving out. Tried a 2nd time with more glue, still failed. I'm using the heavy duty glue gun. One issue is the fixture has little raised "feet" that prevent the main body of the fixture from making contact. Think I'll try putting the bead all around the light fixture and maybe filing those feet down.

Dennis

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'm useing the command velco for hanging pic it is working great. So I'm going to put Jessie the same way.

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not all Hot glue is the same. Some is strickly low temp and melts easily. some is just cheap. Check lables and if its generic buy a few loose sticks well.. you get what you pay for. There are some out there that are like Stink on a fly. Wont let go wont ever go away. Chances are the glue used was a very low melt craft glue that wasn't really meant to hold a lot of weight. Hang in there. Check your glue and go for it.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
The gun I used was high temp but not heavy duty. Has a fine tip and found in craft section of store. I also didn't think to run a bead around the edge once up, like you would a caulk gun as was mentioned above. Maybe many factors contributing to it's falling down. Might be worth a trip to hardware store and looking at a more heavy duty gun, crossing my fingers and trying again differently.

Latest posts