• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

uvb light bulbs

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
hi i have a uvb fixture repitalsun but i noticd that the light bulb it a tube is still sitting by the tank i thought i had a repitial sun light bulb but that was a repital glo bulb will that hurt jessie my bearded dragon or will that be ok untill tonight

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
reptisun 10.0 is okay if using a reflector please remove it if any dents are there

reptiglo has a low wave length thats harmful to there eyes

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
DedThreadTed.jpg
reptisun 10.0 is okay if using a reflector please remove it if any dents are there
Explain please ... :confused:
reptiglo has a low wave length thats harmful to there eyes
I would like to see the actual source of that info, for my own curiosity & knowledge. This is a direct quote of a reply to a query of mine, from Frances Baines of www.uvguide.co.uk, a site that has gotten recognized as an unbiased authority on testing bulbs & is responsible for many changes & improvements to a large number of the bulbs now in use today.

However there are only a very few reports of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis associated with ExoTerra compact lamps or linear tubes ...and out of the half-dozen or so convincing cases I've collected over five years, (yeah, ok, that's not a lot, but the affected animals did suffer...) most, but not all, occurred when the reptile was able to get very close to the lamp.
I am told that probably because they are so cheap, Exoterra ReptiGlo tubes are one of the most popular brands on the market, so the incidence of injuries must be very low; the risk cannot be very great.
Personally, though - and everyone is entitled to their own opinion - I choose different brands for my own reptiles.
Frances Baines

I have used Repti Glo 10.0 tubes exclusively for years without issue. I now have Repti Sun tubes in all of my enclosures, simply because I got a great buy on acquiring a number of them.

laurenwind

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can experiment with the wattages of the basking light till you find one that produces the correct temp gradient. Or you can get a dimmer so that you can use one wattage and adjust with the dimmer rather than switching the bulb out for a lower wattage one all the time. You can also adjust the height of the basking area to get the right temperature. Bearded Dragons do best with a bright white light. In other words, they do poorly if they do not have this type of light. You can get bright white light with a typical household bulb. Most pet stores bulbs do not produce the correct color of light, nor are they generally as bright, so I do not recommend them. I also suggest getting clear household bulbs rather than the white bulbs, as the clear ones are usually brighter and their light is purer. Another good basking bulb you can use are Halogen floods, as these provide a whole lot of heat and a good spectrum of light.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
what watt would i need for a 40 gallon breeder tank in the halogen floods

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Depending on the ambient room temp of the room it is kept in it may vary. A 50W Halogen may do it if the ambient daytime room temps are in the mid 70sF.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Depending on the ambient room temp of the room it is kept in it may vary. A 50W Halogen may do it if the ambient daytime room temps are in the mid 70sF.
I think I may try this next time my UVA goes out.

Latest posts