• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Coil Bulb

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
I just checked on the UVB coil bulb that my daughter was sold for the BD. It is a 13 watts bulb. I decided to check on that, due to the fact that I was looking at an online supply store and found that they have 20 watts as well as 13 watts bulbs.

I still have the 20 gallon long tank with the dome lamps seating directly on the screen top.

Would 13 watts do, or should I get the 20 watts bulb?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You must have a Repti-Glo Compact. They are sold in 13 & 25 Watt, if you have it above a screen, you should definitely have the 25W. Or a 26W Repti-Sun Compact.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks. OK, this particular online store only has 13 and 20 watts. But I can go out in the morning and get the 25 Watts Repti-Glo Compact or the 26 Watts Repti-Sun Compact. It's better to get it sooner than later anyways.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The 20 watt must be the tube or a misprint. Are they both repti-glo?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Which brand is your 13W? Personally don't think much of Zilla Products. The 13W is a tropical bulb, you have a desert animal ;) .

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, I just saw that. The brand is Zilla. I will go out tomorrow morning and find a Repti-Glo. Though, I might have to get a fixture and go with the tube fluorescent type Repti-Glo. Which I wouldn't mind doing anyways, I read your post earlier about putting that one inside the tank, so I think that would be better.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have used Repti-glo 10.0 tubes for many, many years with no issues, have been trying the Repti-sun 10.0 tubes for the last year because I got a really good buy on a half dozen of them. Repti-Sun seems to have better reviews, are generally more expensive. But I have found no difference between the 2. I have no love for Zilla, on their Desert 50 Slimline fixtures they have a clear plastic cover on them shielding the tube, UVB will not pass through solid filters such as glass or plastic. A few years ago UvGuide.co.uk tested them & found 100% of the UVB was blocked by the plastic covers, Zilla was informed of it, said they would rectify the situation, yet these fixtures still have the covers. Again, I am not a Zilla fan. My apologies for taking for granted that the 13W was the Repti-Glo. I never keep up with the Tropical bulbs, so didn't even know that Zilla made a 13W :oops:.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
No, I really do appreciate your help here. I think I'll go for the Repti-Glo tubes too. This way I can put it inside of the tank.

Thanks Germ, if you're ever in Florida, lunch is on me.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For Tube fixtures, all I use are Under the Cabinet Fixtures in all of mine. They are getting harder to find these days because it seems everything is changing to the T5 bulb now, but if you can find the old 'Bright Stick' type fixture for a T8 bulb, they work wonderfully for mounting inside the enclosure because they are slim & light. I had to do a fair bit of searching yesterday & finally found ones for grow lights, but that made no difference to me because I was replacing the bulbs anyway. They look like this ...

Fixture 001.JPG
Mount like this
index.php
With a tinfoil reflector​
Fixture 002.JPG

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ, I know just where to find those. There's a mom & pop hardware store right near here that has them. In fact I just put one in my daughters closet a few weeks ago.

Latest posts