• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Advice

Which option is best

• option 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • option 2

• option 3

• Total voters

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently have taken in a poor neglected beardy, since bringing him home he has been housed in his original enclosure which is 24x12x12. I've now got him a new ExoTerra 36x18x18 and Im so excited to set him up in there, However, I'm having a hard time deciding what UVB lighting to go with. I will list the three options I have been going back and forth on based on info I have found. Please correct me if anything is wrong, I would appreciate any input! The height of the enclosure has been leading me to lots of conflicting info.

OPTION 1 -

Sunblaster fixture mounted ontop of mesh with Arcadia 12% T5 bulb
**I'm reading that the mesh filters out A LOT of the UVB rays, but I also have to cats at home and do not trust them to leave the top open. The T5 bulbs should reach 12' down, meaning I will have to have the basking area at a minimum of 6" high. Is there a maximum for T5 ? or is it less concerning due to the mesh .

Option 2 -

Undercounter LED strip fixture from home depot with aluminum foil makeshift reflector & Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb mounted inside. (unsure if Arcadia is able to be mounted inside)
**If choosing this option, my plan would be to use a plank of wood across the top of the enclosure and mount the fixture face down. Again, my basking area would have to be 6" as the T8 bulb reaches 6-8' down. I have read some concerns about mounting inside fixtures too close to the top of the beardys head with risk of damage to eyes, but also that mounting inside is best.

Option 3-

Megaray UVB bulb in dome fixture, mounted on top of enclosure - circle cut around mesh if necessary
** I have seen this bulb regarded as the best for optimum output, but majority of info states tube fixtures are best practice.

I know many long time beardy owners use a variety of systems which are adequate. I am just genuinely very stressed out about providing the BEST care for this little guy after all hes been through. Are any of these options detrimental / virtually useless ? The t5 ontop seems to be the easiest option, but I want it to be the BEST.

Thanks again for any help !!

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes the sunblaster has a reflector . I live in a small area in eastern Canada so all my shopping is online. The reviews on amazon seem pretty good for the most part. Some state they cause the light to flicker but otherwise people seem happy with it. I will be getting a Solarmeter eventually and double checking everything and adjusting as needed. But my main priority is the lighting first as this adoption was very unexpected and has been very expensive already getting the proper lighting for the smaller tank while waiting to find the new one, and now repurchasing all the new lights for the bigger tank.

My concern with the sunblaster is it needing to be 10-12inches from the basking area. The tank is 18inches tall, factoring in the height of the fixture I would likely have to have my basking area a little on the taller side. He does seem to light to climb and his basking hammock right now is about 6 inches high already so hopefully he wont mind climbing an extra inch or two

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can always mount it inside the tank to the screen - you want it directly above him -- I can give you ideas on how to mount inside if you like- but the sunblaster and Arcadia bulb are really good

would mounting a T5 bulb inside be too strong ?

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
okay great thank you ! I just ordered the sunblaster & arcadia bulb. When it arrives I am going to mount it on top to begin with and see how it goes and then look at options to mount inside after doing some measurements to be sure its not too close. The height is only 18" so I dont want to limit the height of his basking areas too much as he seems to like to climb the length of his stick which is about 6" so that would give me exactly 12" from the top of the tank, without much wiggle room for the size of the fixture.

I was thinking of seeing if I could get a new screen top which is 36x12 and then somehow mounting the fixture over the rest of the open section of the tank. Going to have a better look once it all arrives :)

Thanks so much for the help !

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
oh actually one more question maybe !! .. If i were to get a wood cover instead of mesh is there concerns about air flow ? Ive seen a few set ups that seemed to be completely enclosed with no ventilation, is that okay for bearded dragons ?

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can always adjust decor-- that seems to be the easiest--
oh actually one more question maybe !! .. If i were to get a wood cover instead of mesh is there concerns about air flow ? Ive seen a few set ups that seemed to be completely enclosed with no ventilation, is that okay for bearded dragons ?

NuggettsMaMa

Bearded Dragon Egg
okay makes sense !! thanks again. I will update when all the equipment comes in and I can get it set up :)

Latest posts