• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB 6% and enclosure

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hey there!
Randy is with me for almost one month and here is his enclosure:
45x45x90 cm, ExoTerra.
ExoTerra Light Dome with 75W bulb
Arcadia ProT5 6%
Temperature is 40-41C in hot area and 24 in cold.

So, my question is more about UVB: I was using Arcadia Lighting Guide and according to that guide I should use 6%. The distance between UVB and basking area is about 20-30cm and fixture has installed reflector.
I was told that all beardies have to have 10-12% UVB but meanhile I do believe Arcadia. And just wanted to receive some feedback on that topic and in enclosure

P.S.: I have installed background back to get him comfortable and calm.

Attachments

• 20210303_110408.jpg
    20210303_110408.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey there!
Randy is with me for almost one month and here is his enclosure:
45x45x90 cm, ExoTerra.
ExoTerra Light Dome with 75W bulb
Arcadia ProT5 6%
Temperature is 40-41C in hot area and 24 in cold.

So, my question is more about UVB: I was using Arcadia Lighting Guide and according to that guide I should use 6%. The distance between UVB and basking area is about 20-30cm and fixture has installed reflector.
I was told that all beardies have to have 10-12% UVB but meanhile I do believe Arcadia. And just wanted to receive some feedback on that topic and in enclosure

P.S.: I have installed background back to get him comfortable and calm.
Your using a T 8 bulb - 6% bulb is equal to a T 8 so you need distance of 6-8 inches so 20 cm is close to 8 inches-- I would up grade your bulb to the 12% when you change the bulb out in 5 months - they say 6 I recommend 5-- if you upgrade to the 12% your distance is going to change

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Your using a T 8 bulb - 6% bulb is equal to a T 8 so you need distance of 6-8 inches so 20 cm is close to 8 inches-- I would up grade your bulb to the 12% when you change the bulb out in 5 months - they say 6 I recommend 5-- if you upgrade to the 12% your distance is going to change
Sorry, but didn't understand that clearly: I'm using T5 6%. The fixture is installed on the ceiling, not on a top/mesh and from basking zone to the lamp is about 20-25cm which is ideal for Arcadia D3 Forest 6%. I'm afraid 12% is overkill and can hurt dragon's skin due to high level of UVB with such low distance between basking zone and the lamp.

There are no plans to change a distance at least for a moment of 1-1.5yo of beardy.
Arcadia is claiming that 1 year is guarantee period of UVA-UVB output, but there should be no problems to change lamps each 6 months.
So, initial question is that really OK to have 6%UVB with distance 20-30cm, like on the photos? I know, that could be annoying, but I'm newby here and want to give as much as I can to Randy.
Thank you :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, but didn't understand that clearly: I'm using T5 6%. The fixture is installed on the ceiling, not on a top/mesh and from basking zone to the lamp is about 20-25cm which is ideal for Arcadia D3 Forest 6%. I'm afraid 12% is overkill and can hurt dragon's skin due to high level of UVB with such low distance between basking zone and the lamp.

There are no plans to change a distance at least for a moment of 1-1.5yo of beardy.
Arcadia is claiming that 1 year is guarantee period of UVA-UVB output, but there should be no problems to change lamps each 6 months.
So, initial question is that really OK to have 6%UVB with distance 20-30cm, like on the photos? I know, that could be annoying, but I'm newby here and want to give as much as I can to Randy.
Thank you :)
Is this the page you are looking at --

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/desert/ this is what I use along w/ others in the US and it is not too strong for the dragon w/ the distance I gave you -

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/forest/ if you look at the top left of the page it says T 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Read this topic from another forum please https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1962706 -- CooperDragon and KofN are pretty good w/ lighting as well -- I would switch your bulb to a Desert lamp - your dragon is a desert animal not a Forest -- you want the stronger rays from the UVB- and w/ him that young you want the dragon to be able to get those rays since hes developing and needs to be able to absorb the calcium to prevent all kinds of health issues --- if your fixture is not moveable its better to place it first anyway and then adjust your basking decor underneath ---

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Read this topic from another forum please https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1962706 -- CooperDragon and KofN are pretty good w/ lighting as well -- I would switch your bulb to a Desert lamp - your dragon is a desert animal not a Forest -- you want the stronger rays from the UVB- and w/ him that young you want the dragon to be able to get those rays since hes developing and needs to be able to absorb the calcium to prevent all kinds of health issues --- if your fixture is not moveable its better to place it first anyway and then adjust your basking decor underneath ---

These replies look very useful, thank you! But let me ask - I was looking at these pics and from understanding for 30cm, 6% UVB with reflector is better than 12% without reflector. I already have installed 6% and also I have 12% as a backup. Based on all of that, I will change 6% REFL to 12% NO REFL after 6 months. Am I correct in understanding of all of that?

And we're talking about the distance from basking spot only, not from "floor" to the lamp, right?

1615815855495.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NO you want a reflector it is very important for a reflector --- that reflector directs the rays downward to him and that is what you want w/ out it those rays end up bouncing all over that tank -- on the website i posted for the Arcadia it mentions reflectors https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/importance-lamp-reflectors/
I would get your bulb changed out to the 12% w/ a reflector --- make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- I personally love the Arcadias -- I have used the 12% and the 14% bulbs -- the 14 is very strong and requires tanks to be at least 24 inches tall -- w/a distance of 17-18 inches --

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
NO you want a reflector it is very important for a reflector --- that reflector directs the rays downward to him and that is what you want w/ out it those rays end up bouncing all over that tank -- on the website i posted for the Arcadia it mentions reflectors https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/importance-lamp-reflectors/
I would get your bulb changed out to the 12% w/ a reflector --- make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- I personally love the Arcadias -- I have used the 12% and the 14% bulbs -- the 14 is very strong and requires tanks to be at least 24 inches tall -- w/a distance of 17-18 inches --
I have changed 6% to 12% without reflector. The distance from basking spot to lamp is from 8" to 12".
How does that sound? I'm a bit concerned to install reflector with such distances I have in 18" enclosure.
Thanks for your patience :)

Latest posts