• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UV and LED lights

ants337

Bearded Dragon Egg
Morning all

Just out of interest, can BD's tell the difference between their UV lights and LEDs?
I only ask as the LED light i have is exactly the same "colour temperature" and brightness as the uv and he's been spending more time at the cooler end. Just though he might be getting mixed up

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Morning all

Just out of interest, can BD's tell the difference between their UV lights and LEDs?
I only ask as the LED light i have is exactly the same "colour temperature" and brightness as the uv and he's been spending more time at the cooler end. Just though he might be getting mixed up
Is he basking at all under the UVB? And I am not sure about the question but I would think they would be able to tell - LED's do not emit UVB that I know of -- good for giving light and no heat but I am not sure about the telling of the difference - let me see if I can ask someone who might know

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is his response to your question
Yeah they'll be able to sense the output in various UV wavelengths and move around to get what they need. If the LED isn't producing UVB then they will move to a UVB light if they need it and vice versa. The differences go beyond the visible spectrum or color temperature.

Latest posts