• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Using Ground Walnut Shell bedding

Kisha Bouchor

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am trying to find new bedding for my dragon. He is starting to "taste" the sand. Is the Walnut bedding OK to use?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
I am trying to find new bedding for my dragon. He is starting to "taste" the sand. Is the Walnut bedding OK to use?

If your beardie is trying to "sample" the sand, then it will more than likely try the walnut. I went from the calcium sand to a repti carpet and loved it. Way easier to clean. I also found carpets at the dollar tree for $1 that are perfect. At that price you could just throw it away when it's too gross. The green in the pic is the repti carpet and the black is the carpet from dollar tree. It was very easy to cut, so I was able to match it to my enclosure needs.
6f7e92b3c9a1b31928d54993041bc393.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Loose substrates for bearded dragons are a no go. They love to taste test things, and loose substrates are impossible to clean, and therefore harbor bacteria like it's their job. Many members go with carpets (which I found difficult to keep clean), tile, or in my case: fatigue mat. It's an unconventional usage of the mat, but I like it.

514f535ab56f493cecfb8163c0df929d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kisha Bouchor

Bearded Dragon Egg
Loose substrates for bearded dragons are a no go. They love to taste test things, and loose substrates are impossible to clean, and therefore harbor bacteria like it's their job. Many members go with carpets (which I found difficult to keep clean), tile, or in my case: fatigue mat. It's an unconventional usage of the mat, but I like it.

514f535ab56f493cecfb8163c0df929d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help. I was hoping he wouldn't try "tasting" this. I haven't seen him try it yet. However I did notice he like to dig a small trench for himself to sleep in at night .

I bought a mat that will be put in there later today (after I get off work).

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Walnut substrate is even worse than sand. It's pieces are bigger and sharp and could really hurt them if they swallow it.

Latest posts