• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent advice needed on sick and injured dragon!

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
First of all let me say that I am a newbie to reptiles of any sort. I've done research but it's never enough, is it?

I'm looking after Beardie, a 7 year old male, for 2 months, leaving me with about 5 weeks left at the moment. Let me repeat: THIS IS NOT MY DRAGON, but I'm his temporary carer.

Over the past few days he became incredibly lethargic and wasn't eating so he's lost weight. I came down to see him earlier and found a cricket chewing on his tail, near his left hip. I completely panicked, got Beardie out of his tank (more about the tank in a second), got rid of all the crickets - threw them in the garden - and rushed Beardie to the only reptile vet in my country. Thank goodness for friends who can drive.

Beardie now has two stitches, topical and oral antibiotics, and some "critical care" food in a packet. He also has some calcium drops to go in his water. The vet was shocked at his state of health, even more so when I explained that Beardie has no heat lamp - I wasn't given one when he was delivered - and nor did he come with any calcium to be added to his food.

She examined him completely and said that he is dehydrated, underweight, and most likely has some degree of bone disorder due to the lack of calcium. He is also at risk of getting a bone disease as the injury is quite deep, almost exposing the hip bone. It's also fairly large, I think. An oval, about 1cm X 0.5cm.

He also may not survive.

When I got him home I followed the vet's instructions and had to force Beardie to drink some water with the calcium drops and antibiotics in it, but I think he might have thrown some of it back up again. =(

Tomorrow I am going out to buy a heat lamp and some proper food for him. If anyone can advise on which lamps are possibilities (by the way, how do I work out the size of his tank?) and which foods would be the best to give him I will be eternally grateful.

Other details:

Weight: about 180g right now. =(
Length: 30cm roughly
Light: ReptiGlo something (I can't see properly)
Tank: far too small I think
Substrate: some kind of white sand, but I'm going to swap it for something else if I can
Heat: no lamp, but under-tank heating on the left side, which barely comes through the sand so I've moved all that to one side. I've given him a hot water bottle for now and I'm hoping it's enough for a few hours.

If you need any more info I'm afraid it will have to be tomorrow because it's midnight for me and I've spent three hours crying over Beardie so I'm exhausted. Please, please help?

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
Definitely recommend getting rid of the sand use the reptile carpet or tile or even paper towel...get a UVB/UVA strip light I believe it's called repti sun 10.0 and a heat lamp if you haven't already

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
Good food greens no spinach that draws out calcium lettuce eh it's just water no real nutritional value I do collard greens for calcium mustard greens apples without the skin strawberries with no seeds squash cucumbers google will be a good resource

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
The bone disease is MBD metabolic bone disease can be fatal but just proper calcium will definitely help also mealworms and dubia roaches are good food sources u can get mealworms at a local petco or petsmart like store and roaches u can usually get them online fairly cheap

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
Calcium you can also do without d3 since the light will provide that but some people are hard core d3 everything

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It sounds like you got beardie in a poor state. It's really admirable that you doing so much for him. I do like to think that his owners will learn from you. Do the best you can and leave the rest up to God. My prayers are with you both.

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
I really commend you for taking your temporary charge to the vet and being willing to do whatever it takes to get him well! It'd be great if there were more people like you imo. If you have a tape measure just take the tank's basic measurements and post them or google search them and you should find out what size tank it is. The size/ wattage of lights you get will depend on that. For substrate just use paper towel right now while he is healing.

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Beardie made it through the night. :D He is not being a very cooperative patient though. Any advice on how to best force feed antibiotics in a syringe? He keeps wriggling away, which I see as a good sign if he can do that! I'm most concerned about getting water into him as I've only seen him drink water once in two weeks - in his bath tub. I don't want to accidentally choke him.

Also, the vet gave me something called "Critical Care" by Animal Oxbow Health. It's for herbivores so I'm going to try and get some mealworms or something today, but the vet said they could be quite hard on his kidneys? If he's dehydrated, ill, injured, on antibiotics I don't want to put any more pressure on his body than I really have to. Umm, so the critical care is like this greenish powder almost? It smells good but I don't know how to feed it to him. Do I mix it with water? Do I just put some in a dish and hope he licks it up? But then it's dry food so he'll need more water? It doesn't help that the ingredients are in German, French, and Dutch. My French is ok, but it's not that good.

I'm going to write down everything you've suggested and do it right after I've had some breakfast.

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Quick question: would it be safe to give Beardie a bath while he still has an open wound with stitches in, even though I'm putting antibiotic ointment on it three times a day? I would think not, but I really don't know how to get him hydrated properly.

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
His tank is 61cm across X 61cm tall and 45cm deep. Or 24in X 24in X 17.5in. So it works out as 40 gallons, roughly.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can pinch the beardies beard between your fingers and pull down.... Generally will open the mouth enough to get fluid inside.... With mine I just pull down one side of his/her lip and drip into it and they generally will start liking than I drip on the nose.

Horn worms are a great source of water also.

To make gain weight feed supers, butter worms.... Silk worms also are great for calcium...... Another good food for sick beardies is pheniox worms just make sure you poke holes in them otherwise the beardie will pass them hole without digesting them.

Tank size is good.

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sadly I'm extremely limited when it comes to what I can buy as food, or even as lights/lamps. I can pretty much ONLY get meal worms, but I know they can be quite hard on the kidneys and liver. If it's the only thing he'll eat, will it be ok for a few days?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sadly I'm extremely limited when it comes to what I can buy as food, or even as lights/lamps. I can pretty much ONLY get meal worms, but I know they can be quite hard on the kidneys and liver. If it's the only thing he'll eat, will it be ok for a few days?

In large quantities they are bad for your beardie as they have a hard shell that's can not be easily digested especially in a poorly hydrated sick/weak beardie.

Crickets and greens would be alot better for it

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is also on the critical care ,I mix it with turky/or squash baby food,feed with syringe,like someone stated earlier,if you put a little in the side of his mouth he should open it enough to get some in,then to hydrate I mix 1\2 Gatorade and 1\2 water in syringe after each feeding..if he will eat crickets or collards you can sprinkle critical care powder on them..hope he gets better soon! I'm on day 2 of force feeding my guy,he quite eating bout 4 weeks ago,but after only 2 days of cc he is perking up:)

EmilySanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Beardie is looking better this morning!! I think it's the heat lamp I got for him yesterday. He hasn't eaten yet today, but I'm going to wave some more food under his nose and see what he does. I'm also going shopping later for baby food. Would vegetable or meat be better? Or a combination?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. Chicken and chicken broth or turkey and turkey broth should work wonders for his energy intake, along with mixing with green bean baby food and squash babyfood. I used to do this Allie whenever she was sick. You can also add the critical care into the mix with calcium and multivitamin.

Latest posts