• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Upgrading to a 75 gallon - questions

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
So in the near future I will be upgrading Skittles to a 75 gallon aquarium, 4' long x 1.5' wide x 21" ( almost 2 feet ) tall. I have considered building my ow enclosure, but I already have the tank and he likes the glass sides - never shows any signs of noticing his reflection, and likes to watch goings on around the house.

So my questions regarding a larger enclosure - keep in mind that it would be super difficult to mount anything inside of the tank, as it doesn't have a front opening so I have to reach in from the top -

1) Is there a UVB bulb, tube style, that will penetrate 21" ? I can't find one.

2) How do I heat it up? He is currently in a 40 gallon breeder and it takes 2 bulbs, 100 watt each, to adequately heat the sucker, which it barely does. 3 heat bulbs seems excessive.

3) Follow up on 2 - can I use a combination of a CHE and one basking bulb? Because he doesn't need it brighter light just the heat and some light to mimic daylight, correct?

4) Anyone that has worked with glass - is it possible to slice off the front 4' panel (by cutting through the aquarium sealant) and put a front opening door, or would that make the tank too unstable?

Thanks y'all!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try an Arcadia 14% T5 bulb. It's more expensive but worth the money and I think the 14% would penetrate to that depth. LightYourReptiles.com is very helpful with lights and can help with any questions you have.

I know that some people have done two separate basking spots on each side to of the tank to help keep the temps up.

Latest posts