• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

untraditional feeder items

squinn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm currently in the process of experimenting with some less than traditional feeder items in hatchling rearing, i'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience or ideas of what they are using beyond the usual scope of crickets, roaches, mealies, waxworms ect.... Currently i am experimenting with isopods, housefly larvae, indian mealmoths and box elder beetles any experience with these or other feeders would be appreciated, especially in feeder bugs that are easy to breed or can be field collected in mass quantities, I understand going into there is a downside to field collected bugs going into this, so consider this an experiment to satisfy my own curiousity.

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use juvinile pellets for the young poopers that i have and it works just fine. I have tried certain canned foods but i dont reccomend the stinky cricket spam.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
kewl question.

I raise many different species of bug. I don't feed them all to dragons however. Over the years, i've acquired many different species of reptile from the wild that didn't adapt well to "domestic bugs". Kinda like taking a snake outta the woods and hoping it eats.

I raise sow bugs, meal moths, cicadias, grasshoppers, glass wing moths,, sugar ants, termites, honey bees, grub worms, earthworms, dragonflies in the spring, a very small wild locust population, and propogate many insects from the wild that others use as well. Like Crickets and mealworms. I guess i actually started the last mealworm colony..........about 9 years ago and it's still going. My geckos appreciate me anyways. lol

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Geez....I did good just to get the feeders I've had to date in the house. Those being crickets, supers, dubia and lobster roaches, hornworms and silkies. To date, my least favorite have been the lobsters and crickets....hands down. I currently have only supers and dubias....and seem to be doing rather well with them.

But alas....you're looking for non-traditional feeders....and those I've had have been anything but. So....I guess this is just my long version of a subscription to your thread. ;D

Seriously, very interested to see the answers you get, Steve.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
kewl question.

I raise many different species of bug. I don't feed them all to dragons however. Over the years, i've acquired many different species of reptile from the wild that didn't adapt well to "domestic bugs". Kinda like taking a snake outta the woods and hoping it eats.

I raise sow bugs, meal moths, cicadias, grasshoppers, glass wing moths,, sugar ants, termites, honey bees, grub worms, earthworms, dragonflies in the spring, a very small wild locust population, and propogate many insects from the wild that others use as well. Like Crickets and mealworms. I guess i actually started the last mealworm colony..........about 9 years ago and it's still going. My geckos appreciate me anyways. lol
Termites? I bet Frank would've loved those since it's part of their natural diet.

As for the original question, I have not tried anything outside of the norm...yet

Latest posts