• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unsure of Dubia roaches...

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK I am sure most of my uncertainty with the dubias is because of what they are. I do not care for it when my husband gives them to George, but he seems to love them. It just seems that they have a hard exoskeletons and not much "meat" (sorry couldn't think of a better word lol). Am I wrong on this? I mean I personally don't touch them so maybe it just seems they have a lot. Or maybe it's that god awful snap and crunch sound *bleh*. I seem to lean more towards horned worms mainly because they do not gross me out so much. I don't know though, which is better for George nutrition wise? He's not very picky so I am sure he does not care lol...

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is more meat than shell in Dubias & they are a very good feeder choice if available, same goes 4 hornworms.
Sounds like George is lovin life.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh I make sure George is well taken care of. I will say this, I am glad I decided to choose a beardie as a pet. I have always loved reptiles, but it was mostly snakes. I have found that they are not as high maintenance as other reptiles, and make a great display animal. But I am so glad that it doesn't matter. I just can't get over the fact that it's a cockroach. :eek:

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think that most people have a some kind of phobia with roaches until they're used as a feeder. Definitely less maintenance with dragons & they do make wonderful pets.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Gobi gets Madagascar Hissing Roaches... One, every 3 to 4 weeks. They are big enough, that one is sufficient to feed him. And they have high protein and low fat. That crunch is AWFUL... Makes me almost sick to the stomach to hear him crunch. Like the guy told me at the store, they are the Porterhouse Steak of the BD delicacy. Highly relished. But for us, they are $2.00 (US) PER roach.

naich

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
how often can you feed them hornworms? even at about 3 months old?
the are considered a staple, so as much as you would like. But they are EXPENSIVE and a pain to breed. 20 worms with food is like 15 bucks. Age doesnt matter with this worm, which is why its so great. Its filled with water and adults can weigh 12 grams. Thats the size of a 3 month old dragon practically hahaha.

Latest posts