• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Undigested poop?

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Hi guys! So I've had my beardie for 3 months and he is 5 months old! I started him on BSFL as a feeder a couple weeks ago. Starting a few days ago his poop looks like it has undigested worms in it. Is that just because I'm putting to many in at a time and he's eating to fast. Heres a pic, but plz help.
20201113_093934.jpg
20201113_093931.jpg

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No, that is very normal for them to do. They are very gluttonous eaters and usually swallow before completely chewing. My beardies have done the same with butter worms and crickets, where I'd see full body parts or heads in their poop. Just make sure you feed him in 10 minute increments so he doesn't get clogged up because that is where you run into the risk of impaction.

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
No, that is very normal for them to do. They are very gluttonous eaters and usually swallow before completely chewing. My beardies have done the same with butter worms and crickets, where I'd see full body parts or heads in their poop. Just make sure you feed him in 10 minute increments so he doesn't get clogged up because that is where you run into the risk of impaction.
So should I be feeding him with tongs for 10 minutes at a time to avoid impaction?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, so I shouldn't feed them as straight food then. I'll normally feed him them for breakfast and crickets at night, but you think just as a salad topper?
Feed slowly so he's not eating them so fast -- what are the basking temps? How are you taking them and how old is the dragon?

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Feed slowly so he's not eating them so fast -- what are the basking temps? How are you taking them and how old is the dragon?
The basking temp is 105. I take them with a stick-on, I know you have said in the past that those can be innacurate, unfortunately I am young, and have no source of money, I cant can't a job, basically, I worked my butt off to get my beardie and his cage and my parents pay for his food. So I cannot afford a temp gun. My bearded dragon is 5 months old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking temp is 105. I take them with a stick-on, I know you have said in the past that those can be innacurate, unfortunately I am young, and have no source of money, I cant can't a job, basically, I worked my butt off to get my beardie and his cage and my parents pay for his food. So I cannot afford a temp gun. My bearded dragon is 5 months old
You need correct basking temps or he will not be able to digest his food properly -- a digital probe thermometer is $8 at Petco or Petsmart

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does that have to be plugged into something?
No it has a battery- comes w/ it--- get a zoo med digital probe it's in a yellow package- the two most important things in that tank are the basking temps and the UVB- they control the overall health of your dragon----- No Coils for a UVB- they are inadequate and will cause health issues

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
How long are the lights in his tank on before you feed? If he doesn't have light for a few hours before he eats, he won't be able to digest as well. If you can be at home you can feed him a little later in the morning, or ask your parents to.

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
How long are the lights in his tank on before you feed? If he doesn't have light for a few hours before he eats, he won't be able to digest as well. If you can be at home you can feed him a little later in the morning, or ask your parents to.
I feed him about an hour after I turn on his light.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So should I be feeding him with tongs for 10 minutes at a time to avoid impaction?
You can feed them with tongs no problem. When my beardie was that age he didn’t like eating salads at all so I just feed him protein until he was around 7-8 months that’s when he finally started to eat his veggies. So before that I would just put him in his feeding container. It used to be a dog water bowl cause he was so cute and tiny. Than I’d just put a bunch of crickets in there and he’d eat at his own speed. You can do the same with the BSFL too probably

Kosmo12

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! So I've had my beardie for 3 months and he is 5 months old! I started him on BSFL as a feeder a couple weeks ago. Starting a few days ago his poop looks like it has undigested worms in it. Is that just because I'm putting to many in at a time and he's eating to fast. Heres a pic, but plz help. View attachment 24318View attachment 24317
Hi there. I totally get this. My bearded had the same thing. My issue was my lighting. The basking spot wasn't warm enough and my cool and war sides we're off to.
What are your tank temps? Below are recommended tank temps.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1605489488350.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605489488350.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 325

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a lot less worms in there. But there are still a little, is that okay/normal?
Are you feeding alot at one time? Is he gobbling them down to fast- that would cause them to not digest- are you taking your basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Salvatorethebeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Are you feeding alot at one time? Is he gobbling them down to fast- that would cause them to not digest- are you taking your basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?
I used to feed LOTS at a time, probably 30. Now I feed 10-12, 3 -4 times a week on top of his big salads. I'm getting a digital probe thermometer very soon. Like I said, once again, I am not even 16, so I cant drive by myself and I don't always have the money. I'll buy one whenever my parents will take me.

Latest posts