• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Understanding behavior of an old Dragon

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
So Shiva is almost 18 and a half now. She is in the age range of a very elite few at this point. I have noticed a lot about her behavior now that would be considered "red flags" for younger dragons. It is kind of funny really. For instance, Shiva doesnt see very well anymore. Her "aim" when lunging for crickets is slower and off target. I have had to hand feed her for last 6 years. The last 4 years she spent most of the days sleeping, but She will have plenty of active moments and look around as I walk by. She does move around too, but not that much. When she does move, she doesnt move "graciously" anymore either. I feel bad, she like flails her arms and legs one at a time and drags herself along. She can pick herself up onto things so she still has strength which is good. Her appetite has not diminished and She still eats a good 20 crickets in one sitting.

Some of the behavior, like the moving around slowly with arms flailing, would typically concern me. When you put it into perspective though....shes over 18. This is all probably because shes just REALLY old. Ive already marked my calendar....April 7th 2021 will be 18 years and 238 days. That is a day over the current record. It would be great if she makes it. Ill do my best for her. She's been such a great dragon it would be awesome to have her somewhat "immortalized" for some period of time.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So Shiva is almost 18 and a half now. She is in the age range of a very elite few at this point. I have noticed a lot about her behavior now that would be considered "red flags" for younger dragons. It is kind of funny really. For instance, Shiva doesnt see very well anymore. Her "aim" when lunging for crickets is slower and off target. I have had to hand feed her for last 6 years. The last 4 years she spent most of the days sleeping, but She will have plenty of active moments and look around as I walk by. She does move around too, but not that much. When she does move, she doesnt move "graciously" anymore either. I feel bad, she like flails her arms and legs one at a time and drags herself along. She can pick herself up onto things so she still has strength which is good. Her appetite has not diminished and She still eats a good 20 crickets in one sitting.

Some of the behavior, like the moving around slowly with arms flailing, would typically concern me. When you put it into perspective though....shes over 18. This is all probably because shes just REALLY old. Ive already marked my calendar....April 7th 2021 will be 18 years and 238 days. That is a day over the current record. It would be great if she makes it. Ill do my best for her. She's been such a great dragon it would be awesome to have her somewhat "immortalized" for some period of time.
She sounds like a happy, healthy, grand-dragon. Let's hear it for Shiva! Still young at heart.

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
Shiva has survived wretched 2020! She is almost at the record....April 7th is the day! Still sleeping most of the time. She is alert though, if i tap on the top metal screen she openes her eyes and looks. What a trooper. Time to give her some blueberries!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Shiva has survived wretched 2020! She is almost at the record....April 7th is the day! Still sleeping most of the time. She is alert though, if i tap on the top metal screen she openes her eyes and looks. What a trooper. Time to give her some blueberries!
The flailing of the arms does not sound good -- it sounds like she has a severe case of MBD --- what are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb ? NO COILS they re inadequate --- basking temps and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It could also be a supplement problem. In another post, you mentioned that she only gets supplements every other feeding. Considering you only let her have food once a week, she's definitely not getting enough calcium.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
W
It could also be a supplement problem. In another post, you mentioned that she only gets supplements every other feeding. Considering you only let her have food once a week, she's definitely not getting enough calcium
Which can cause MBD? So it could still be MBD?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
W

Which can cause MBD? So it could still be MBD?
Yep. No matter how good a lighting setup might be, if a beardie is only getting supplements twice a month they're going to get MBD. There are probably several other diet deficiencies and the poor beardie may be severely malnourished from lack of food.

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
It could also be a supplement problem. In another post, you mentioned that she only gets supplements every other feeding. Considering you only let her have food once a week, she's definitely not getting enough calcium.
Ive since upped the calcium to every feeding. This could be the issue. I do give her fruit and a veggie or two during the week. My uv bulb is a tube never a CFL. It is adequate for her needs. Ive used it for over 15 years now. I replace the tube every 5 or 6 months.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, the UVB is good you sound like you know what your doing :) I truly hope she doesn't have MBD good luck with her

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
Yea i hope not. I mean...I want her to live as long as possible and as happy as possible, she is really really old. That's why im not sure if it is MBD or she is just old. As of now she is 18 and a half. I sometimes find it a hard to determine if something is wrong or......shes just old :p

Latest posts