• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Traveling Advice Please!

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live around four to five hours from the beach and love to go but whenever I go on any trips, my beardie is left behind with my grandmother. She says the entire time I was gone for two days, back in 2018, she wouldn't eat and wouldn't move from her one spot.

After that, I only did over night trips. I do a weeks worth of stuff in one day and afterwards, I am exhausted for so long after. I sleep almost for a week after.

Recently my fiance's parents moved to the beach and they have an extra room where I can put a tank. So I arranged to take a beach trip next month and take my beardie with me for two nights.

We are getting her used to car rides and new places. She is used to the gym we go to now as long as it isn't loud. The vet said she would be fine on trips and one website I read suggested a dark box during the car ride to get her to sleep. For most of it. I am going to get her used to the other tank we are taking with us. During most of the day, she will stay in that for a good while.

I called a vet down there and registered her with one of the best just in case anything bad happens. I got her two carriers, one is more open and one is more dark and closed up a bit. Ii have some popsicles sticks and non toxic medical tape in case of any broken bones. I have heat packets and blankets, syringes, and a lot more stuff. We are going to try to leave early in the morning when she is still in sleep mode.

I know they have really good hearing so we plan to keep the radio down or off. I have some relaxation music I tend to play for her a lot on a playlist.

Whenever I talk to her about the ocean, she perks up and acts like she is listening so I promised not long after I got her in 2015 that I would take her to the beach to see the ocean one day. We are deciding on moving down there in the next few years. She is 7 or 8 years old and I want her to have some adventures and see new things.

Is there anything else I can do to help her stay less stressed on this trip? I really want to do this and take her with me.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I live around four to five hours from the beach and love to go but whenever I go on any trips, my beardie is left behind with my grandmother. She says the entire time I was gone for two days, back in 2018, she wouldn't eat and wouldn't move from her one spot.

After that, I only did over night trips. I do a weeks worth of stuff in one day and afterwards, I am exhausted for so long after. I sleep almost for a week after.

Recently my fiance's parents moved to the beach and they have an extra room where I can put a tank. So I arranged to take a beach trip next month and take my beardie with me for two nights.

We are getting her used to car rides and new places. She is used to the gym we go to now as long as it isn't loud. The vet said she would be fine on trips and one website I read suggested a dark box during the car ride to get her to sleep. For most of it. I am going to get her used to the other tank we are taking with us. During most of the day, she will stay in that for a good while.

I called a vet down there and registered her with one of the best just in case anything bad happens. I got her two carriers, one is more open and one is more dark and closed up a bit. Ii have some popsicles sticks and non toxic medical tape in case of any broken bones. I have heat packets and blankets, syringes, and a lot more stuff. We are going to try to leave early in the morning when she is still in sleep mode.

I know they have really good hearing so we plan to keep the radio down or off. I have some relaxation music I tend to play for her a lot on a playlist.

Whenever I talk to her about the ocean, she perks up and acts like she is listening so I promised not long after I got her in 2015 that I would take her to the beach to see the ocean one day. We are deciding on moving down there in the next few years. She is 7 or 8 years old and I want her to have some adventures and see new things.

Is there anything else I can do to help her stay less stressed on this trip? I really want to do this and take her with me.
Most dragons love to ride and look out the window -- I would get her a small cat carrier like this if you dont have one already https://www.amazon.com/s?k=small+ca...cat+car,pets,114&ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_13_ts-doa-p
I have two of these types for my dragons for taking to the vet - I like the ones that have the front door that lays down and the one that opens on top - when I go to the vet my daughter goes w/ and when we take one dragon we open the top mesh so he can sit and look out the top on her lap and he watches outside -- I have two males so if they are both with I dont get them out
As far as the tank you can get a 20 gallon tote and take the basking lamp and UVB w/ you but if your having her outside shes going to get a lot of sun on the beach - so she probably wouldnt need the UVB so much - those are just some ideas -- listening to music would be soothing for them --

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a carrier very similar to that. I am mostly worried about her stressing out at being in a new place. We plan to stop at a lot of gas stations so we can get her out and stretch her little legs a bit for a few minutes. Usually we don't stop until we are down there but I think riding for that long will bother her.

I am worried about the ride back too but we can do the stopping at the gas stations then too.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a carrier very similar to that. I am mostly worried about her stressing out at being in a new place. We plan to stop at a lot of gas stations so we can get her out and stretch her little legs a bit for a few minutes. Usually we don't stop until we are down there but I think riding for that long will bother her.

I am worried about the ride back too but we can do the stopping at the gas stations then too.
She will be fine dragons are used to sitting in places for long periods - it would be good for her to get the sun more than anything even 15 minutes -- she will go thru relocation stress that is normal as well so she may or may not eat while you are gone -- that would be normal -- just offer her the food and if she eats she eats --

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
She will be fine dragons are used to sitting in places for long periods - it would be good for her to get the sun more than anything even 15 minutes -- she will go thru relocation stress that is normal as well so she may or may not eat while you are gone -- that would be normal -- just offer her the food and if she eats she eats --
Okay. I hope 2 nights are enough for her to rest between rides.

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
The one thing I am really worried about is her spending the night in a new place. When she was hatchling and I got her from Petsmart, it took her over a week to adjust and she was spasming and everything. I am worried this will happen but we will have her tank with her so it will be familiar. When she wont be with us, she will be in the tank. Should I put a blanket over half of the tank or something?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The one thing I am really worried about is her spending the night in a new place. When she was hatchling and I got her from Petsmart, it took her over a week to adjust and she was spasming and everything. I am worried this will happen but we will have her tank with her so it will be familiar. When she wont be with us, she will be in the tank. Should I put a blanket over half of the tank or something?
Have you had her in the car at all? To see how she rides

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one but I ordered a more comfy one for her that should get here tomorrow or Tuesday.
Get a trial run w/ her w/ the leash- 2 nites in a motel room? Set her up w/ her tote or whatever your taking w/ you so she can get some hours of basking time in - offer her food etc before 2 hrs before lights out so she has time to bask to start digestion - dont forget your probe thermometer

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get a trial run w/ her w/ the leash- 2 nites in a motel room? Set her up w/ her tote or whatever your taking w/ you so she can get some hours of basking time in - offer her food etc before 2 hrs before lights out so she has time to bask to start digestion - dont forget your probe thermometer
I can spend the night with her at my fiance's apartment. She has been over there a few times but never to sleep over.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can spend the night with her at my fiance's apartment. She has been over there a few times but never to sleep over.
Dragons dont like change --so if shes off of her eating she probably will be till shes back home again

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons dont like change --so if shes off of her eating she probably will be till shes back home again
So dont worry if she doesn't eat? Has stress of new things ever killed a dragon before? Taking her for 2 nights 5 hours away won't cause some sort of damage will it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So dont worry if she doesn't eat? Has stress of new things ever killed a dragon before? Taking her for 2 nights 5 hours away won't cause some sort of damage will it?
Not that I have heard -- so yes if shes off her eating while gone its because of the strange surroundings etc-- they can be off their food for awhile -- keep her basking temps good and UVB and offer her food - make sure shes hydrated before you leave --

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are doing a trial run this weekend for one night to see how she does over night.

So we are leaving Thursday after work and getting down there in time to go to bed and waking up to eat breakfast and go to a few stores. Then go out on the beach. I was going to leave her asleep while we go out and get her up when we go on the beach.

Everyone keeps saying to leave her home because she will die but I promised I would show her the ocean one day. I can always schedule a vet visit when we get back. If the worst comes to
pass then... I will just deal with it. She is almost 8 years old and I want her to have some adventure in her life.

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are doing a trial run this weekend for one night to see how she does over night.

So we are leaving Thursday after work and getting down there in time to go to bed and waking up to eat breakfast and go to a few stores. Then go out on the beach. I was going to leave her asleep while we go out and get her up when we go on the beach.

Everyone keeps saying to leave her home because she will die but I promised I would show her the ocean one day. I can always schedule a vet visit when we get back. If the worst comes to
pass then... I will just deal with it. She is almost 8 years old and I want her to have some adventure in her life.
So technically its a three night trip.

RaisedByDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sleepy baby! She did so good at my fiance's last night! She even ate when she got home! I'm so proud of her! Her harness even came today!

Attachments

• received_730380711305759.jpeg
    received_730380711305759.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts