• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Total newbie to the reptile world - need your advise

mnemonik23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

I would like to keep a bearded dragon and have a few questions. Specifically when it grows bigger, I have a 90 gallon (48"x18"x24") tank and 48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 4 Lunar LEDs that I'd like to reuse.

The questions are:

1) Will the this tank be a problem (24" high)?

2) Is it possible to use my AquaticLife light fixture for bearded dragon (new bulbs, etc.) or will it be to high to heat the tank?

Please advise. Thanks!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Higher watt bulbs can be purchased to heat a 90 gallon tank. A few of our members are into fish & should be able to advise you on what aquatic lighting can be used with your setup.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Hi,

I would like to keep a bearded dragon and have a few questions. Specifically when it grows bigger, I have a 90 gallon (48"x18"x24") tank and 48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 4 Lunar LEDs that I'd like to reuse.

The questions are:

1) Will the this tank be a problem (24" high)?

2) Is it possible to use my AquaticLife light fixture for bearded dragon (new bulbs, etc.) or will it be to high to heat the tank?

Please advise. Thanks!
Welcome! This is a good forum with lots of very good answers. I use it all the time and it has helped quite a bit.....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3.jpg

The fixture would work OK for providing an ample source for light only. Although I am not overly familiar with the fixture, I do not think that a specialty UVB bulb is made at all to fit. There are T5 UVB bulbs made, but I have never seen or heard of a 48" one, plus I am reasonably sure that the power requirements would be altogether different than what the fixture provides. But you would have to check that out if you can even find a UVB bulb to fit. Consequently a Fixture for a UVB bulb along with a fixture for the Heat source would still have to be provided. Those bulbs could not be used for heat even if they did emit enough heat, because they cover the whole length of the enclosure, therefore not allowing for the required heat Gradient.

I have 2 90 Gal enclosures & they are a wonderful size when set up properly, providing 6 square feet of floor area, 150% of the minimum recommended for an adult BD.

Here is a pic of one of my 90s setup.

2000KmMove018.jpg

mnemonik23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks!

Germ, what kind of fixtures/bulbs you have in your setup? Any specific mesh cover you would recommend?
Also, what is that horizontal thing attached to the wall on top?

Too many questions, I know, but I am so excited to have a BD!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As far as screen goes, you don't really want a really fine screen, because if you set your fixtures on top too much is reflected/blocked. A fine screen can block as much as 50%+ of the UVB reaching the BD & UVB is only effective for so far from the bulb, depending on the type of UVB used determines the effective distance. I made my own for the 2 that I have screen tops on (the 90s) & I used Fine expanded metal, supported by T-Bar, as shown in the Pic below.
ExpandedMetalTop1.jpg

ExpandedMetalTop3.jpg

The Horizontal fixture at the top front is a regular under the cabinet fixture of the the old 'Bright Stick' style & that is the fixture for my UVB bulb, I presently use ReptiSun 10.0s, but previously used ReptiGlo 10.0s exclusively for years & do not notice any difference. I mount all my UVB fixtures inside under the screen, unfiltered, so my BDs receive the full benefit of the bulb. For years I mounted them with 100% silicone & never had one release. But you have to Lay the enclosure on it's side & let it cure for 24+ Hrs. I now use Hot Glue that holds as well or better, with only a 5-10 minute cooling time, so can be done with the enclosure upright.

The small fixture on the left, is a regular uplamp fixture, designed for a 50W Halogen flood bulb & that is what is in it for heat. The large Chicken Brooder Lamp on the right is only holding a regular 40W household incandescent bulb just to supplement heat & light on the cooler side. This is my summer setup when room temps are warmer/hotter. In the winter I simply swap the fixtures places & put a 75W Halogen flood in the Brooder fixture & a small low wattage bulb in the uplamp. The lighting, fixture & screens on both my 90s are exactly the same, because it works well for me.

Hope this helps & Good Luck in your future endeavors.

LizMartell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Exactly what I was looking for! I have a 42x22x20 tank for my future Beardie with a front door. I was going to use wood with 1/4in wire but I like the looks of this much better. Could you please give me more detail ot the screen top? My husband is "weak on the handyman skills" so I will probably have to do it. I do have a friend who does welding, will I need that?

Latest posts