• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tortoise or Gecko??

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I will be moving my 1 year old beardie to a 75 gal tank when it gets here...i would like to get another critter for the 40 gal that my beardie is in currently...I love torts! but they are kind of pricey...from what im reading leopard geckos are less expensive and can live happily in a 40 gal...I just dont know which to get...russian tort or leopard gecko? We live in the very noth east, cold winters, hot summers, humid somedays, dry others...thoughts?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I gotta say, go for the tort! Torts are really great and have great personalities. It's great being outside with them and spending time with them. You can also take them places if you want too. I take Bowser with me to some stores and she loves it! You can see all the things I do with Bowser on her Facebook page. If I got another tortoise it would be a Russian. They are super cute and don't get very big. Where did you plan on buying them from? I really suggest a breeder or checking out Repticon, if a show comes near you. You can find them at different prices ;)

But the only thing that I can think of that you might not like is that a 40 gal. breeder will not be big enough. Usually people make a tortoise table. Very very easy to make and gives your tort more walking room!

I have no experiece with leopard geckos, but it seems like you really can do a lot with them... They do look pretty though!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya you would need more room for a tort i have 4 of them love the littler guys but there space burners. Leapords or pretty but kinda boring IMO. Ever thing of crested geckos? There nocturnal but cool little reptiles.

Caitlin

Bearded Dragon Egg
I say go for (i know this is out of your choices but im gonna say it anyway) go for the crested gecko they can be really great and can be really nice it might be a little pricey but its worth it.Tort's are great too but geckos can be easy to clean like the crested gecko

sircactuscat

Juvenile Dragon
Torts, I love them and they are not as boring as leopard geckos. Leopard geckos are nocturnal so you want be seeing them much. :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am partial to tortoises but a gecko would make a great pet too! You have a tough decision to make ;) :)

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
i just got my 1st baby leo a few weeks ago & he is awesome!!!! i wud definately say get a leo!!!!!! w/out a doubt! they are fun lil critters 2 watch!!!! watch him lick his eyes is funny stuff!!!! :p plus they come in beautiful colors!!!! i got my new baby at a reptile expo in orlando 4 $25 bucks! if u wanted u cud get 2 adult females & they wud both live very happily in a 40g!!!!

Latest posts