• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much D3?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay so Charlie has his UVB, and I give him calcium powder with D3. Is this too much? Just wondering.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
Okay so Charlie has his UVB, and I give him calcium powder with D3. Is this too much? Just wondering.

Depends on the type of UVB bulb. Fluorescent tube or MVB? Does he get much natural sunlight?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It is a fluorescent tube, and he gets natural sunlight maybe once a week (when I take him outside for a car ride or walk).

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
It is a fluorescent tube, and he gets natural sunlight maybe once a week (when I take him outside for a car ride or walk).

Nah....I wouldn't worry about it. If it were an MVB, then yeah, I'd say he's probably getting/producing too much D3. But since it's a fluorescent tube, he should be fine.

How old is Charlie? I don't remember.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you're using unblocked natural sunlight (not thru the windows of the cars or screens) on a regular basis, then you don't need the D3. It doesn't sound like what you expose him to is a regular basis tho. So I agree with Craiger. If you change up as the weather gets warmer and he's outside more than that....switch over to the green label.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, okay. If he's acting normal and doesn't have any MBD issues, supplementation for an adult isn't nearly as much as that of a baby/juvie. Since the calcium you're providing does have D3, you only want to supplement his food 2 or 3 times a week. Beardies can overdose on the D3 that's provided in the calcium supplement which will cause some issues. So just be careful when you sprinkle it on his food. A very light dusting (barely visible) is all that's necessary.

Latest posts