• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Toe issue and possible yellow fungus

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I have a 5 year old bearded dragon with a couple concerning issues. The first issue is that he has a swollen toe which I believe was caused by stuck shed. There is a small area that is open. I spoke with a sanctuary and they advised using betadine on it.
The second issue is that he may have yellow fungus. I took him to a reptile vet last month, but the vet did not seem to notice it.
I am thinking I may not be able to keep him because I will not be able to afford his vet bills if there is something serious.

Attachments

• 20211117_183648.jpg
    20211117_183648.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20211117_183451.jpg
    20211117_183451.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I have a 5 year old bearded dragon with a couple concerning issues. The first issue is that he has a swollen toe which I believe was caused by stuck shed. There is a small area that is open. I spoke with a sanctuary and they advised using betadine on it.
The second issue is that he may have yellow fungus. I took him to a reptile vet last month, but the vet did not seem to notice it.
I am thinking I may not be able to keep him because I will not be able to afford his vet bills if there is something serious.
I am getting some more help on this I will post when I hear back--- it does not look good --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am getting some more help on this I will post when I hear back--- it does not look good --
Did the sanctuary tell you how to use the betadine? Hear is what I got from someone who is very experienced

The betadine soaks will be good for the toe and a little Neosporin after it's dry. Can they get a few more close ups of the belly + tail areas ? I'm not sure that's Y.F., it may just be patchy shed.
Please post some more pics of the belly and areas in question

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did the sanctuary tell you how to use the betadine? Hear is what I got from someone who is very experienced

The betadine soaks will be good for the toe and a little Neosporin after it's dry. Can they get a few more close ups of the belly + tail areas ? I'm not sure that's Y.F., it may just be patchy shed.
Please post some more pics of the belly and areas in question
Thanks for the tips, I will pick up some neosporin. They told me that I should give him a soak with it, but I was only able to find a small bottle of it in spray form. So I've been spraying it on his toe.

Attachments

• 20211117_192206.jpg
    20211117_192206.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20211117_192158.jpg
    20211117_192158.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the tips, I will pick up some neosporin. They told me that I should give him a soak with it, but I was only able to find a small bottle of it in spray form. So I've been spraying it on his toe.
Look at Walmart or your pharmacy

diluted about 10 parts water to 1 part betadine. They could also just use raw honey but they have to be positive that there are no loose insects in the enclosure.
The honey is a good bacteria killer --- use some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka its a good killer of infection - it doesnt haft to be Manuka any good raw unpasteurized honey---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So please tell me what your using for a UVB NO coils please -- this is imperative to the healing of the dragon along w/ the overall health --- basking temps and how are you getting them? NO stick ons please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok here is what she said about the belly and tail
There is a possibility that it's fungal. They can get some antifungal cream like Lamisil or Monistat at any drug store to apply to those areas to see if it clears up. If it does not clear it up please get her back to the vet for a test of what kind of fungal it is ------ www.arav.org
What are you using for a substrate? No loose please it harbors bacteria and can cause impaction

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks again. I am using the tube uv light and custom cut tile for the substrate. You'll notice I have some paper on the glass, what he sees on the other side is foliage. He likes solitude but I can't seem to find a hide he will fit into. So I just put paper up.

Attachments

• 20211115_164519.jpg
    20211115_164519.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks again. I am using the tube uv light and custom cut tile for the substrate. You'll notice I have some paper on the glass, what he sees on the other side is foliage. He likes solitude but I can't seem to find a hide he will fit into. So I just put paper up.
Please take the paper off the front glass dragons are a social creature he needs to be able to see out-- the back is fine - your uvb is what brand and what bulb T 5 or T 8 this is crucial+- look at PetSmart for hides

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use T8 bulbs. I feel sad about the paper. I thought he would like it. I have searched at petsmart but I will keep searching online. As for the temperature, I use a digital thermometer with a sensor on a long wire and place it on the area he basks in. Usually the temp is in the upper 90's near about 100 degrees.

Attachments

• 20211117_203616.jpg
    20211117_203616.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use T8 bulbs. I feel sad about the paper. I thought he would like it. I have searched at petsmart but I will keep searching online. As for the temperature, I use a digital thermometer with a sensor on a long wire and place it on the area he basks in. Usually the temp is in the upper 90's near about 100 degrees.
As for the brand of bulb here is a photo

Attachments

• 20211118_134922.jpg
    20211118_134922.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok your T 8 needs to go inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- the T 8 is not strong enough to go through screen-- it also needs to be changed out every 6 months I recommend every 5-- if you need help getting it hung let me know I will post things to hang with

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok your T 8 needs to go inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- the T 8 is not strong enough to go through screen-- it also needs to be changed out every 6 months I recommend every 5-- if you need help getting it hung let me know I will post things to hang with
Please go get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb ASAP----- you can find them at Petsmart ---- then get your UVB placed over the basking decor you can set it length wise across the tank w/ NO screen distance 6-8 inches

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thanks. I live in a smaller town, but I will be going to walmart in another town later today. I will be going to a city this weekend where there is a petsmart. I do need help hanging the bulb actually, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thanks. I live in a smaller town, but I will be going to walmart in another town later today. I will be going to a city this weekend where there is a petsmart. I do need help hanging the bulb actually, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.
This stuff works great its like a Velcro strap -cut into strips then wrap around the fixture ---- please get it in the tank or like I said take the screen off on the end by your basking bulb you can place it length wise on the very end 6-8 inches for a T 8 butt the screen up to it directly over the hammock -- make sure your getting basking temps off that hammock w/ a digital probe thermometer stick ons are inaccurate --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has no interest in food. He hasn't eaten in 4 days
Please make a slurry of fresh greens add water for hydration and a pinch of calcium D3---- feed very slowly off a spoon or in a syringe -- hes not eating because of incorrect UVB --- are you in a warm area where temps are above 65 degrees?

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its 41° here. Just realizing I may need to buy him an enclosure where the screen can be removed because this is enclosure does not allow for that. Kinda strange cuz it is a national geographic enclosure designed for bearded dragons. I don't think there would be much room for him if I put the lighting inside the enclosure...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its 41° here. Just realizing I may need to buy him an enclosure where the screen can be removed because this is enclosure does not allow for that. Kinda strange cuz it is a national geographic enclosure designed for bearded dragons. I don't think there would be much room for him if I put the lighting inside the enclosure...
Then take the screen off or have it on one end of the tank so the screen is 3/4 on -- place the basking bulb up next to it --- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen and the UVB your using is for a house hold use not a reptile bulb --- the tank does look to small so I would invest in a bigger tank -- you can look for a used on w/ front doors on FB marketplace or Craigslist -- if you find something on those sites please make sure you sanitize it real good w/ some Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 found on Walmarts website it is spendy a concentrate but good stuff

Noichnaf

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, I did remove the screen and so he has been getting direct uv light and more heat. However, his appetite has become abnormal again. He did not eat yesterday.

He ate great the day before and I attributed it to removing the cat litter box from his room. I do feel that was negatively impacting his appetite and feel so terrible. He has never gotten into greens, and I did try sprinkling bee pollen on his salads. No interest.

The vet instructed me to use aloe vera on his toe. They did not feel it was necessary to amputate his toe. But as you can see it has gotten worse.

It looks like it's going to fall off in my opinion. What should I do? Take him back to the vet?

Attachments

• 20220207_124746.jpg
    20220207_124746.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 19