• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Time to Experiment

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have decided to experiment with some insect colonies. Partly this will be a learning experience combined with an effort to cut down on the cost of live feeders. Mr Rex eats an ever growing number of crickets/small supers/roaches so the skill of insect colony raising seems a must over the long haul. Plus I think it's just gonna be fun in general. As my first endeavor I have purchased a silk worm egg kit. It's kind of like my own little biology experiment hehe. Rex loves anything wormlike so I know he'll devour them with his usual fervor. Any tips for the silkies? From what I grasp it basically consist of: 1) the usual controlling temps 2) ensuring mulberry food is scraped over the worms and 3) making sure that mold does not form on the food/droppings among the worms and if it does to get them to move by offering another layer of food then removing them to a clean container. I think that about gets it.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I did the silk work experiment and boy do they eat a ton.... so as long as you can afford the chow... It also depends on how many reptiles you have or do you have someone lined up to buy. I mistakenly ordered 500 instead of 50 silks. Well they ate so much and so many turned into mothes. I only have two dragons. It was a mess. I did enjoy the process. Now that my dubia colony has taken off I am going to start researching horn worms to breed.

Latest posts