• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tiles and Sand

Strange_Evil

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My bearded dragons are moving into there new 4x2x2 cage in about 8days, my question is can i use any type of tile? If there are any types of tile i should stay away from could you post a link (i'm going to home depot). When ever i ask for slate rock i get directed to the tile section.

I was going make about 35% of the cage the basking area lined with slate,and the rest would be calci sand possibly, i know how horrible sand is but wiping crap up would be so much harder than just picking it up.

To assure they will not get impacted i'll feed insects from tongs and have the veggie dish on huge piece of tile.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When you buy the tiles just make sure they have a texture and are not smooth cos then the dragon wont have any traction and will be slipping a lot.
If you want to add sand buy plain normal childrens play sand. Much safer than calci sand. Calci sand is really bad as it clumps up like sement when wet.

As for tiles vs sand cleaning...........tiles are way easier.
Yes you gotta pick up the poop and wipe the tile, but then its CLEAN.

With sand you gotta pick up the poop, remove about 2 inches of sand from all around the poop to ensure all the mess and moisture is gone. Remember when beardies poop its not just urates and fecal matter...........theres liquid as well which seeps into the sand and harbours bacteria causing illness and this is why the entire area around the poop must be cleaned also to ensure propper hygeine.
Also ALL the sand needs to be replaced monthly.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Strange_evil

I wanted to address a few things you mention in your post above.

1) Calci-Sand: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not use this. If you follow this link http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...to-use-particle-substrate.4161/#axzz1jAPFvLd2 you will see what CAN happen when you use particle substrates and more specifically Calci_sand. The xray you will see is a dragon that ingested cali_sand and died from it balling up in the intestines. Dragons can't break down Calci_sand and it sticks together when it gets wet.....VERY BAD FOR DRAGONS!

2) Even though you will be feeding usuing tongs, Dragons by nature lick everything and they will lick the particle subsrate, this really can't stopped. Now saying that, many owners have been very successful at housing adult dragonms on washed play sand. Of course you need to be more active when it comes to cleaning and changing the sand as it will be like your dragon is living in a litter box if not cleaned/scooped daily and change regularly.

3) Any type of slate or ceramic tile with a texure will work and as P stated above it waay easier to keep clean than any type of sand. Just don't seal the tiles in as you will want to remove them to clean underneth.

4) I am also concerned that you are hosuing you 3 dragons together. Dragons are solitary animals and only come together to mate. They can and will turn on each other at any time and usually ends up with one either being killed or injured. Each adult dragon could use a cage the size you reference above.

I hope this helps

Strange_Evil

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I only have two bearded dragons, the third one was and adult male i sold a few months back. My sig is way over do for an update, i'm rarely on here so i never updated it.

As far as sand goes i have no intention of using calcium sand, calcium sand is WAY to expensive and horrible. i was thinking more along the lines of play sand,i have a bunch of it i use to make my monitors sand soil mix. I wrote the calci on impulse,i really didn't pay attention to what i wrote.

These dragons are a male and female pair and will be housed separatene of course. The cage is a stack 4x2x2,how ever the one on the top is off by a few inches when it comes to width.

I went to home depot today, i found some cool looking black tile and gray,however i didn't get it because it takes two weeks to get to the store and comes in big orders i won't use it all. So i'll be checking out Benjamin Moore right after i grab some lunch.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds good.

I don't if you have one there but we have a surplus building supply store here. I purchased my tiles from them VERY cheap.

Look forward to seeing pictures of the new enclosure.

Strange_Evil

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Will be up soon, i picked up some slate,i got three slabs of it, i do have a bunch of open space though, The tiles do not cover the entire floor... I was thinking of just adding a bunch of larger stones to fill up the gaps, what do you think,i wonder if it will look good?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think it will be ok, just make sure you bake the stones in the oven on 300 for about an hour to kill anything that may in or on the stones.

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have mine on calci sand and have No problems. Play sand also clumps wen wet so can't see the arguement. Calci sand his generally made from crushed shells. Any lose substrate can be problematic including tissue paper. Its one of the arguements that Will always go on, but if we look into it all it boils down to. ....
they come from the desert its full of sand, No salad carts to go to and definatly No baths they also can't b fussy waitin for the right size food to come along (watching ur dragon Rip prey in Half adds to enjiyment) granted the outbacks Sand is mighty fine

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sand can cause impaction and is not recommended. a lot of people use it anyway with no ill effects however its a risk i wont take. i deal with rescued animals and have seen what it does. also, we offer the salad carts and baths to extend their lives. the life span of a captive dragon is twice that of one in the wild. a dog running the streets will live half as long as one sitting on your couch eating dog chow. why wouldnt you do everything you possibly could to ensure that your animal isnt exposed to something that can harm them? just my opinion.:)

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
they come from the desert its full of sand, No salad carts to go to and definatly No baths they also can't b fussy waitin for the right size food to come along (watching ur dragon Rip prey in Half adds to enjiyment) granted the outbacks Sand is mighty fine

Actually WatfordOleary17:

The "desert's" of Australia are not sand but hard packed dirt. When we hear Desert you automatically think of Sand but to be a desert it just means that there is little rain/snow fall and regular vegitation will not grow. Bearded Dragons do not live on Sand in their natural environments and the closest thing to their natural environment we can house them on is actually tile.

Reactions: P

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
they come from the desert its full of sand, No salad carts to go to and definatly No baths they also can't b fussy waitin for the right size food to come along (watching ur dragon Rip prey in Half adds to enjiyment) granted the outbacks Sand is mighty fine​

Here is a thread as to what their NATURAL habitat looks like (Its from a poster who actually lives in OZ and has "wild" beardies in his backyard.........

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...sbandry-practice-for-sand.2695/#axzz1jjbqD0by

Latest posts